Volvo Penta 31P-A fuel return to tank question.

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am finishing up a repower and am in the midst of finishing the fuel tank plumbing. I have a pair of belly tanks; one for each engine. I have the pickup centered at one end of the tank, since that is the deepest part of the tank; however, I had the return bung burned into the corner of the tank, to keep the return away from the pickup. I read in the Volvo manual: "The fuel return line on diesel engines must be drawn back to the bottom of the tank in order to avoid air from entering the fuel system when engine is stopped"

Is this true???? If so, I'm going to have to pull the tank and have a new return bung installed, so I can drop the line to the bottom of the tank. There is no way to reach the bottom of the tank at the corner. I was told I could have returned the fuel to the tank fill line, instead of having the tank modified to accept a return line. Please, someone bring me good news!

Last edited:

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
Mine have just a fitting on the top of the tank, fuel just drops in, no tube or hose to route it to the bottom of the tank. Been that way since 1989.
How the heck did you find someone to weld on a used fuel tank? ;

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How the heck did you find someone to weld on a used fuel tank?

I didn't, the tanks are new and have yet to have fuel in them. I originally intended on replacing the gasoline engines with the same, but decided to switch to diesel; hence the reason I needed to add the bung.

I found some conflicting information on this subject. Some say to route to the bottom of the tank, others say it's not necessary. I found it odd that Volvo used the word MUST in their language. I thought there might be some issue with their engines. Glad to hear I don't have to pull these tanks again ... thanks!