Twin diesel setup with two tanks ... one vent sufficient????

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm installing two 82+ gallon tanks to service my twin Volvo 31 diesels. Each tank will be dedicated. I already have a vent line cut into the hull, which was used by the old 140 gallon tank. Can I run a Y from that one vent to vent both of the new fuel tanks?

alldodge

Staff member

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you ... Excellent information!

I don't see anything that requires a dedicated vent system. I think the main issue is when fueling. Since only one tank gets fueled at a time, that shouldn't be a problem. Expansion of the fuel is at such a slow rate that it shouldn't cause an issue.

I'll give it a try with one vent and add another, if necessary.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I think it'd work best with the Y as close as reasonable to the loop, just before the vent fittin' in the hull,....

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ayuh,.... I think it'd work best with the Y as close as reasonable to the loop, just before the vent fittin' in the hull,....

Thanks, Bondo, that is exactly where I intended to install the Y, right where the loop terminates.

On my boat, the loop is under the gunwhale, but above the deck. The loop terminates just before the hose travels below deck. I was intending to mount the Y so one of its legs connects to the loop above deck and the two vent lines travel from the Y below deck to their respective tanks.