Help with engine no-start

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class
1976 Albin 25 with the Volvo MD17C motor: admittedly I upgraded the battery room cabling myslef - including the addition of an ACR - and have currently left the house wiring an unconnected mess, but still ---> last Saturday was first chance this summer to use the Manatee - turned the key and instant start! Engine instruments not working but I have to figure out how to fix that.

Today I went down to the Marina - the marina and slip owned by the marine op that hauled the boat and was to address some of the more serious electrical shortcoming like nave and anchor lights. He had done nothing all week, so I was determined to move the boat to my own marina up river.

Switch the battery on/off switch to On, make sure the Stop Engine thing is firmly down, Turn the key - absolutely nothing! No clicking, no needle movement. Those cabin circuits which are connected - work just fine - cabin lights etc.

Start battery reads 12.48V and a jump does not help. What am I missing? Ideas? It's the end of July and I am getting kind of depressed about delays in getting underway. :(

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
1976 Albin 25 with the Volvo MD17C motor: admittedly I upgraded the battery room cabling myslef - including the addition of an ACR - and have currently left the house wiring an unconnected mess, but still ---> last Saturday was first chance this summer to use the Manatee - turned the key and instant start! Engine instruments not working but I have to figure out how to fix that.

Today I went down to the Marina - the marina and slip owned by the marine op that hauled the boat and was to address some of the more serious electrical shortcoming like nave and anchor lights. He had done nothing all week, so I was determined to move the boat to my own marina up river.

Switch the battery on/off switch to On, make sure the Stop Engine thing is firmly down, Turn the key - absolutely nothing! No clicking, no needle movement. Those cabin circuits which are connected - work just fine - cabin lights etc.

Start battery reads 12.48V and a jump does not help. What am I missing? Ideas? It's the end of July and I am getting kind of depressed about delays in getting underway. :(

Check for 12V at the starter on the solenoid, then check for 12V at the ignition key switch. Maybe a fuse blew at the key