steering wheel is slightly locking and then works again

Lupus

Seaman
Hi all, While underway the steering wheel will lock. Then I turn hard and it is free again. Anyone knows how and where to troubleshoot ? The boat has two KAD 300 diesel engines with DPG drives. I have checked for fluid and level is fine. Thanks for any input.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
First thing I would do is check the fluid, but you already did that, second thing check the belt-is it loose or is there glazed ares on the belt that would allow it to slip?

Did the pump ever loose a lot of fluid and you had to top it up? you could have air in the system, get someone to check the level in the resavour while you turn the steering wheel, does it go down then back up?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
check the steering arm on your outdrives where the cable and power steering ram are connected. if the pin gets rusted in there, it will act like that.

Lupus

Seaman
Thanks guys. I will check both next time I am at the boat. Much appreciated.

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks guys. I will check both next time I am at the boat. Much appreciated.

Ayuh,.... I'm guessin' you've got cable steerin',..??

If so, it sounds like the Helm is worn out,....

alldodge

Staff member
Hi all, While underway the steering wheel will lock. Then I turn hard and it is free again. Anyone knows how and where to troubleshoot ? The boat has two KAD 300 diesel engines with DPG drives. I have checked for fluid and level is fine. Thanks for any input.

Unless your boat is really old I would almost bet you may have hydraulic steering. Sounds like you have air in the line

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
alldodge, even with hydraulic steering, when the cast iron steering arm rusts to the zinc coated pin, it gets really stiff.

Lupus

Seaman
Hi again, The boat has a steering cable.... Windy 37HT. I have lubricated the pin (had some rust to it) and it is for sure better now. I guess some trips will make it just perfect. Thanks for the input guys.