Volvo Penta AD41B with DP-D (Dual prop RevD) outdrive trim cylinder problem

FishinPole

Cadet
Hello all,

I have a 1993 Volvo Penta AD41B diesel with the DP-D (Dual Prop, Rev D) outdrive. The trim cylinders are round. See photos of similar cylinders below.

My Starboard Trim Cylinder has developed a leak at the piston rod seal. The piston rod is still very smooth and polished. I think the rod seal just gave out because of age.

I want to mechanically disconnecting the trim cylinder from the outdrive - but leave it hydraulically connected. Don't want to remove any of the hydraulic lines if possible.

My intent is to the remove the rear cylinder head using a spanner (or equivalent) wrench and pull out all the inner parts as an assembly (piston, piston rod, seals, etc). Then dismantle and replace the rod seal.

I was wondering if it is possible to raise the outdrive, thus extending the cylinders. Then support the outdrive and mechanically disconnect the piston eyebolt rod from the outdrive by removing the cotter and large pin - freeing the piston from the outdrive but still leaving it connected to the transom plate.

Next retract the piston by "lowering" the non-moving outdrive a bit - piston still connected at the transom but disconnected from the drive.

I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS:
1) Am I dreaming????? Can I do the above. What would stop me????
2) How to relieve the hydraulic pressure before attempting to open the cylinder barrel?
3) Might there be an internal spring on the rod assembly that might cause parts to fly?
4) I am expecting to be able to pull out the whole inner rod assembly from the cylinder barrel, is there anything that would prevent this??
5) Once pulled, will the seals expand such that I might not be able to put the assembly back into the cylinder barrel?

I tried to find a schematic or photo of the inner assembly but had no success. Based on some online photos I think the inner "guts" will come out in one piece which can then be dissembled and repaired

I am in the fact finding phase of this project.......won't be tearing into it for a few more weeks. Any help/suggestions/schematic/part numbers/seal sources/ etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any and all advise!

Reagrds,

FishinPole

Trim#1.jpg Trim#2.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta AD41B with DP-D (Dual prop RevD) outdrive trim cylinder problem

Just noticed your post and I'm not a Volvo outdrive expert. I would suggest reposting this in the Volvo section and not in the diesel because you will get more attention. That being said:

If you support the load of the drive the pressure would be nil.

A hydraulic cylinder is a hydraulic cylinder and all work under the same principles. Just disassemble and replace seals, wipers and the like and put it back together. They will self bleed the air and you back in business

FishinPole

Cadet

Hello AllDodge,

Thanks for the reply and info. After I posted, I realized that the diesel forum was the wrong forum. I just did not know how to change the post. I will remove the guts of the cylinder and try to rebuild it.
Again, Thanks for the help.
FishinPole

alldodge

Staff member

Glad to be of help, but wasn't stating to post it elsewhere because it was wrong. Just your issue was not a diesel unique issue and you would get more views in the Volvo section.

All the best AD