AQAD40b removing crank nut- what is best way to lock engine when undoing crarnk bolt?

jerama88

Cadet
any ideas out there for ensuring motor doesnt turn when swinging on crank bolt (undo)..read a thread where owner had cresent on other pulley braced against sea water pump..sounds dodgy? must be a better way?:facepalm:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: AQAD40b removing crank nut- what is best way to lock engine when undoing crarnk b

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Pull a spark plug out, 'n stuff some rope into the cylinder....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: AQAD40b removing crank nut- what is best way to lock engine when undoing crarnk b

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Pull a spark plug out, 'n stuff some rope into the cylinder....

It's a diesel engine, no spark plugs.

Use a big screwdriver or through the timing hole to wedge between the flywheel ring gear and the flywheel cover.

jerama88

Cadet

It's a diesel engine, no spark plugs.

Use a big screwdriver or through the timing hole to wedge between the flywheel ring gear and the flywheel cover.

Hi thanks Don, have it all apart now...have to replace crank seal..I have removed hub also. I removed worn seal no problems...Question is ..I found a seal case or sleeve (alloy) that looks like it shouldnt be there..between hub and timing cover?