Volvo penta KAD 43 bearing noise

Mike 1710

Recruit
I have a sessa oyster 35 2001 with 2x Kad 43 engines with DP outdrives.

Does anyone now if the engine has to come out to replace the gimble bearing or Universal Joint.

My Boat was working beautifully when after a right turn a loud grumble came from the port engine area. There is a small grumble noise when driving the boat in a straight line but on a turn the noise is terible. A local mechanic has advised that its the universal joint or gimble bearing but he cant be sure but with either the engine has to come out of the boat.A sessa dealer has advised that this may not be the case but I wanted another opinion if possible as the labour charge could be only a few few hundred or a few thousand.Many Thanks anyone who can help.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo penta KAD 43 bearing noise

I have a sessa oyster 35 2001 with 2x Kad 43 engines with DP outdrives.

Does anyone now if the engine has to come out to replace the gimble bearing or Universal Joint.

My Boat was working beautifully when after a right turn a loud grumble came from the port engine area. There is a small grumble noise when driving the boat in a straight line but on a turn the noise is terible. A local mechanic has advised that its the universal joint or gimble bearing but he cant be sure but with either the engine has to come out of the boat.A sessa dealer has advised that this may not be the case but I wanted another opinion if possible as the labour charge could be only a few few hundred or a few thousand.Many Thanks anyone who can help.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Which drive ya got,..??

Generally speakin' the u-joints are part of the Drive, 'n the gimbel bearing is replaced by pullin' the Drive, not the motor...

Mike 1710

Recruit

Thanks for replying.

The drives are DP-D outdrives.

Mike
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Which drive ya got,..??

Generally speakin' the u-joints are part of the Drive, 'n the gimbel bearing is replaced by pullin' the Drive, not the motor...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just the upper gear box needs to come off to replace the ujoints. The bearing in the flywheel cover (Not a gimbal bearing) might be able to be replaced from outside the boat if corrosion doesn't hold it in. Some have removed the snap ring, and used large vise-grip pliers to pull the shaft out from the back.(using soft copper to protect the splines from the pliers of course). If that fails, then the engine must be pulled.

Removing top box 2.jpg

Mike 1710

Recruit

Just the upper gear box needs to come off to replace the ujoints. The bearing in the flywheel cover (Not a gimbal bearing) might be able to be replaced from outside the boat if corrosion doesn't hold it in. Some have removed the snap ring, and used large vise-grip pliers to pull the shaft out from the back.(using soft copper to protect the splines from the pliers of course). If that fails, then the engine must be pulled.

View attachment 171003

Many Thanks for your kind help.

Mike