Volvo dp-e stern drive power tilt will not operate

pvbud

Cadet
Starboard DP-E will not operate. Electric hydraulic motor does not have electric power. I found the RED wire to the Relay disconnected, the spade terminal dissolved by corrosion. I cleaned the Housing, replaced the spade terminal. When I pressed the control panel switch at the helm, the switch burned through. Ugh!

1. I have replaced the Control Panel Switch, left one wire unconnected as before. The indicator lights come on, rotate.
2. The fuse mounted on the engine near the fuel filter is a reset type (not original. ) I read 12V across both terminals.
3. I replaced the Relay near the hydraulic pump with a new spare: No change, no electric power, no help.
4. Port side DP-E power tilt functions normally, no problem there.

I cannot see a fuse near the electric hydraulic pump motor. Anyone know if the DP-E model has a fuse elsewhere? MY ENGINE SERIAL IS; 2204157180; MODEL AD41P-A.

I note Don S. discussion of July 2, 2011, and the posted wiring diagram. My DP-E Relays do not seem to be the same as the Relays in the diagram that is there are not separate relays for "Up and Down". However, the relay connection are the same, 30 through 87a, so is the color coding.

This is driving me nuts. Any suggestions to remedy this, or knowledge about any available tech super qualified to trouble shoot this condition located around Anacortes, Washington? Thank you for any thoughts, suggestions.

pv

dexterm16

Cadet
Re: Volvo dp-e stern drive power tilt will not operate

check for a large fuse near your starter. it may be mid wire under boots.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you don't have power to the 30 terminal on the relay socket that supplies power to the trim pump, then you may have a blown fuse. It's located on the port side of the engine, and really doesn't look like a fuse, but it is.

Fuse1.jpg

pvbud

Cadet

If you don't have power to the 30 terminal on the relay socket that supplies power to the trim pump, then you may have a blown fuse. It's located on the port side of the engine, and really doesn't look like a fuse, but it is.

Thank you Don. I measue 12V across the fuse terminals located on the port side of the engine. The original Vovo fuse (that does not look like a fuse) was replaced a couple of years ago with a re-set type. Question:

How can I determine if there is electric current to the 30 terminal?

Thank you for your help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I measue 12V across the fuse terminals located on the port side of the engine.

If you tested it with one test lead on one terminal and the other test lead on the other terminal and got 12V, that means the fuse or circuit breaker or what ever it is you have there is bad. You are doing a voltage drop test.

To test for voltage, put the black test lead of your volt meter on a good clean ground on the engine or battery (Neg terminal) then touch the red lead to both terminals of the fuse. You should have 12 V on both terminals. I would bet you only have it on one from your previous test,.

pvbud

Cadet

If you tested it with one test lead on one terminal and the other test lead on the other terminal and got 12V, that means the fuse or circuit breaker or what ever it is you have there is bad. You are doing a voltage drop test.

To test for voltage, put the black test lead of your volt meter on a good clean ground on the engine or battery (Neg terminal) then touch the red lead to both terminals of the fuse. You should have 12 V on both terminals. I would bet you only have it on one from your previous test,.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You were correct. I reset the cursuit breaker on the port side of the engine and now have 12v. ar the red wired on the relay housing. Replaced the relay, still the electric motor will not operate.

I will run a wire from the battery directly to the motor. Any other thoughts or suggestion?

Are there any fuses near the control panel for this motor? I cannot see one?

Thank you very much for your help, Don.

pvbud

Cadet

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You were correct. I reset the circuit breaker on the port side of the engine and now have 12v. to the red wired on the relay housing. I then replaced the relay, still the electric motor will not operate.

I will run a wire from the battery directly to the motor. Any other thoughts or suggestion?

Are there any fuses near the control panel for this motor? I cannot see one?

(Later on the 19th)
I have removed the relay. Testing between the red wire on the relay housing terminal, I read 12 v to each one of the back wires terminating in the housing. My next move will be to connect positive and negative directly from the battery to the electric pump motor.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you very, Don, much for you help with this. What a challenge to understand the relay, switch arrangement so difficult to access.

pv

Last edited:

pvbud

Cadet

Question for Don:

I note that 12 volt, 40Amp relays are priced from $6.00 to $24.00 for the same product. Do you believe there is a signifcant difference in quality related to different manufacturers, ie Hella, Ford, Volvo, and others?

pv

40Grit

Recruit

Had similar problem. Trim motor was frozen. If you had moisture in your relays. The motor probably saw the same. Mine froze while in storage simply removing and twisting got her wk ing?