volvo penta tmd40a acceleration problem

macorre4

Seaman Apprentice
hi i just had a tamd40 installed in my boat but the guy that instaleed it did a terrible job now i went to go try it out on the bay and it doesnt rev up more than 1700 rmps and i had to hook up an electric fuel pump to the mechanical fuel pump because with only the mechanical one it would die if we tried to rev it up can anyone tell me what can be causing this with the ears hooked up to it it revs max 1900 rms and both are wot and it makes white smoke

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta tmd40a acceleration problem

To start with, I would be looking at air leaks between the fuel tank and the lift pump, or a restriction of the fuel to the lift pump. Or even a restricted return line from the fuel injection pump could cause it.

macorre4

Seaman Apprentice

ok i tried this i hooked up a electric fuel pum straight to the injection pump to a small container with 2 gallons of diesel and it does the same thing so no air leakes in the line from the tank to the pump im wondering because i dont hear the turbo spooling if the turbo is not working would that cause this problem if not then what is the next step should i take

Don S

Could be nothing more than a worn out/defective turbo.

macorre4

Seaman Apprentice

ok the problem was a screw on the injection pump that goes to the return line was not holding pressure from the fuel going to the tank so we fix that now motor runs great on land with the ears reaching 4000 rpms wide open throttle but now we ran into a problem when in the water it does not accelerate more than 2000 rpms wot plus makeing alot of black smoke and does not go faster than 10 miles an hour and when we put the drive into reverse the drive goes up

QC

Supreme Mariner

Propeller pitch and gear ratio? What size boat? That's only 140 bhp . . .

macorre4

Seaman Apprentice

its a 26 ft seaswirl stripper and the person that installed the motor told us that it was 165hp and that with that boat crusing speed would be around 18 to 20 knots and wot turbo boosting would hit around 28 to 30 max and in water its accelerating up to 2000 wot and we dont hear the turbo whistling and theres alot of black smoke coming out of exhaust and wont go more then 10 knots i might have made a mistake its i believe a tamd40

Don S

What was in the boat before you put the TMD40 in it? What outdrive is on the boat, and what is the gear ratio?

macorre4

Seaman Apprentice

well the boat had a volvo penta 5.7 dp and the person that installed the motor pulled out the duo prop drive and put in the 280 d drive that belongs to that motor he said that the drive we had on there did not fit on the motor the gear ratio for the drive i dont know

QC

Supreme Mariner

Well you dropped around 100hp, and changed to a single prop drive. I think you don't have enough horsepower, you've hit a wall at 10MPH and she's smoking black because she can't get going enough to get the air pumping . . . Sucks but I think you are just plain underpowered and the drive change made it tougher to plane too.

O-fishal

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hope you kept the DP you can swap the lower units and still have your Dp which will make a big difference.

Don S

Before I spent another minute on this thing, I would do a compression test.
It's also possible the turbo isn't running. Can you hear the turbo whine?

Let me guess, did the guy that installed this for you also sell you the engine and drive? Do you still have the 5.7 and DP drive?

O-fishal

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My turbo and supercharger wouldn't kick in because of a $35 sensor on the exhaust manifold, took 5 mins to change, the only problem was is the EVC fault codes didnt monitor that sensor, 1 of 2 that it doesnt, not sure if your engine has a sensor like that, I know its not an EVC engine but could be part of the problem?

macorre4

Seaman Apprentice

yes we did the compression test on the turbo today and its reading 2lbs and the motor is a 165hp that motor should at least have enough power to plain the dp outdrive was the newer style it was a 2000 sx dp drive we sold it the motor was blown so we wanted to go diesel yes he did sell me the engine and outdrive and no i dont see an sensor like that on the exhaust

Don S

You don't do a compression test on a turbo, you do it on the cylinders of the engine. The motor, if a TMD40A, is not over 130HP.
The 165 hp engines didn't happen until the 41 series engines came out which replaced the 40's.

Forget about exhaust sensors, you don't have an EVC system, EVC didn't even exist in the days of the TMD40 engines. (77-85)

O-fishal

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did say he didnt have evc...........but wasnt sure if there was a pyro temp sensor that may affect the turbo

QC

Supreme Mariner

One of the later posts said tAmd40 . . . still unclear, but that 2601 Striper is no lightweight. Even if it is a 165, this could be just too bigga eat. No way 30 Knots. I have no Volvo experience and do not know how they utilize the Supercharger/Turbo combo, but at that RPM, boost could be very low, but not "2 lbs" (psi?). Easy enough to pop off the intake side of the turbo intake though and spin the shaft for a simple test. If it wobbles, or there is any binding whatsoever, that would indicate an issue there. I agree with Don though, throwing money at this setup is probably a baaaaaad idea. If you do get her to go, she's not going much faster than an inefficient plane. Doesn't seem like a good plan to me.

Don S

CLICK HERE and type in tmd40 in the engine type box then click on search.

QC

Supreme Mariner

OK, so best case, if it is a tAmd40B, then it's a 165. Considering that as unlikely, it is worse than I feared except in my first post where I though it was a 140. This is just plain underpowered and I would expect her to smoke black if she's stuck on her bow wave.