1993 Volvo Penta 290 DP-E Leg lifting up when put in reverse.

lopakakaluna

Cadet
Is there a fix to resolving leg lifting up when putting it in reverse? Locking mechanism not working? or springs not holding locking pawl? Is there a kit to rebuild locking mechanism?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1993 Volvo Penta 290 DP-E Leg lifting up when put in reverse.

The DP-E does not have a lockdown mechanism, the trim pump prevents the drive from lifting.

lopakakaluna

Cadet

The DP-E does not have a lockdown mechanism, the trim pump prevents the drive from lifting.

Thanks Don. How can I tell if the trim pump is not working or is bad? Will it show a leak? I am not losing any oil from the trim pump reservoir and there is no water leaking in the trim cylinders or oil leaking out from the trim cylinders. Also the trim pump works fine no problem with it. Leg goes up and down smoothe.

Don S

Can you post a picture of your drive and transom shield?

Don S

No pictures. You probably loaded them under the quick reply box, When you do that, the picture only lasts for an hour. you need to go below the text box on the right and click on go advanced. Then your pictures will show up.

Vosman

Cadet

last pic shows a reverse lock. Check in the center for a small coil spring. It is probably broken. Without spring, drive will kick up in reverse.

Don S

That is a not a DP-E. That is why I asked for pictures.
One common problem with the lockdown mechanism has is the fingers that hooks onto the cross pin (item 59 & 62) and holds the drive down while in reverse, get the tips worn off and rounded, then they allow the drive to kick up.
Yes, there is a kit that includes all the parts, last item in this link.
http://www.volvopentastore.com/Inte...*****.386664312--store_id.366--view_id.784283

Here's the manual that covers that drive.
http://www.4shared.com/file/48536730/fa3b3311/280_to_DP-C_Drive_manual.html

lopakakaluna

Cadet

Spring is still there. How can you tell if the spring is not holding or is worn? Should I replace the Fingers that latches down on the cross pin?

Vosman

Cadet

If you pull unit down it should spring back up to latch position. If you lower drive onto pin and you can pull it up, then latches are probably bad.

lopakakaluna

Cadet

It does spring back up and the leg is locked down when on land. The fingers do latch on cross pin. Pulled leg up to make sure it is lock before reversing boat in water. As soon as I place the boat in the water and put it in reverse to try and get the boat off the trailer the leg kicks up and unlocks so I have to put it back in neutral for the leg to free fall back down to re-latch to the cross pin. I have to do it a couple times to get it back to re-latch. Then on approach to pick up my passenger who dropped me in the water after parking truck and trailer as I approach to pick up my passenger the leg unlocks and kicks up again when in reverse causing me to crash into pier or dock. Can't seem to figure it out. Should I just replace Fingers and springs?

Vosman

Cadet

Get the kit and replace all in kit. If you are going to the trouble do it all.