Can I Run My Volvo Diesel W/Out Air Filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSB Cruiser

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1989 AQAD41A Volvo Turbo Diesel. I have noticed that when I remove the air filter, the motor runs so much better and faster. The turbo really winds out the way it is supposed to. It just seems like the air filter is so restrictive.
The only concern I have about running it without the filter is, the way it is set up (from previous owner), is the blow-by is tubed right to the air filter so it is sucked in. I really dont understand this. It dirties up the filters quick and they are not cheap. I already made a catch can in line too.
Any advice much thanks.

enforcer30

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Can I Run My Volvo Diesel W/Out Air Filter?

I am not all that familiar with diesels in boats, but here's my take. A air filter PROTECTS your engine from debries. I understand there is not much dust on a lake, but turbulant air in the engine compartment can blow stuff around. Look for a performance filter like a K&N which can be washed.
As far as the recovery tube to the air filter it is there to keep combustable gasses out of the compartment with out it there is a chance of going boom.
Just my two cents.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Can I Run My Volvo Diesel W/Out Air Filter?

Reroute the tube to the clean side of the Air Cleaner intake hose as long as any oil is getting knocked out by some type of baffle or strainer or sumpin' similar. Have you run her with a new filter? enforcer is correct, but Air Cleaners are definitely not as big a deal in marine applications. All Merc inboards simply use a flame arrestor and most marine diesels use a very porous and small Air Cleaner compared to non-Marine . . . You don't really have to worry about small stuff, just any big stuff that might float around like enforcer mentioned, paper, insulation clumps etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.