Looking for guidance with 245dl problem

Cartwright11100

Recruit
I'm hoping get some suggestions on what could be causing a problem I'm experiencing with my 2003 Osprey with 245dl.

When running wide open I typically get 3900rpm, but lately it drops 600-900rpm for no apparent reason. Periodically, but then at comes back up. The lag will last anywhere from a minute or two and the climb back up or it can last 30 minutes.

I've recently changed the fuel filters and air filter after the problem started.

Any suggestions are really appreciated.

thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
I can find the 245 but not the VP 245. VP uses model numbers like TAMD 41, MD 21 and 22, etc. Maybe KAD300

In any case, the most probable cause for a diesel to loose power and get it back is weak fuel lift pump, fuel line leaking, waste gate, governor. If you have digital throttle this could be another area to look, but my guess is you have cable control

Cartwright11100

Recruit
Alldodge, thank you. You're right I'm not sure on the model of the engine, but it's a 6 cylinder Volvo penta approxamently 200hp.

Of the the possible causes you mentioned could/would they be occurring intermittently?

alldodge

Staff member
The reason I need to model number is because I don't know how the motor was configured. What components were used (turbo, fuel pump, etc) and if there were any service bulletins out about a given model. Using D6-330 and KAD-300 for reference

The good thing about a diesel is it you don't give it enough fuel it doesn't go lean, it just slows down, no harm to the motor. To much fuel and it puts out black smoke but doesn't make much more power.

Your statement of it would do it from 1 to 30 minutes with no rime or reason. If the lift pump is having trouble it could vary at times. Thinking it has a mechanical lift pump. If the pump is having trouble from a line restriction, being weak, vent line clogging which draws a vacuum on the fuel tank, or other. Electrical sensors which may be reading an issue. Without knowing more I would place a fuel pressure gauge inline between the fuel filter and injection pump. See if pressure falls off during these times

Hey Scott Danforth have any thoughts?