Jabsco impeller failures

sushieater

Cadet
I have a jabsco 9001 - 777 raw water pump. We had an impeller get destroyed this morning due to running with the inlet valve closed. The valve was closed because the pump was leaking when not running.

Another boater had an impeller that look like it fit but there was no part number on it that I saw. I installed it and it worked​ for three hours although it would leak quite badly when running. The shaft doesn't feel like it has any visible play.

Looks like a seals gone. I filled it full of water and water leaked out the shaft.

Anyone have any suggestions
for me? Thanks

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
You need a new pump, if it's leaking that badly, the bearings will be destroyed shortly, probably already are. Don't mess around looking for a cheap fix. If it fails you will overheat, and cause more damage to the motor, and costing a ton more than a simple pump.

sushieater

Cadet
Bearings fell good currently. Do you think it unwise to try to motor to my home with a new impeller and fix there? It would be roughly 15 hours of motoring.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
That is a loaded question, It could make it fine, or fail in the most inconvenient place. Do you have seatow insurance? It's a wise thing to have regardless, If you need a tow, with the insurance it's cheap, without its really expensive.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Most likely the pump is shot.

Spend the $220 for a new pump