Caterpillar diesel d333 troubles

Kadentheboatlover

Seaman Apprentice
32VDC 30SI Alternator: $550
100amp breaker switch: $50
50ft of 2AWG tinned marine wire: $250
Brackets to mount alternator and perform belt alignment (time and materials - could take 4-6 hours to fabricate @127.50): $765
Connect wiring to the batteries, mount and install breaker switch (roughly 1-2hrs @127.50): $255
Cost of temperature gauge and sending unit: $152.00
Install new temp senser and mount new electric gauge and wire (roughly 2hrs@127.50): $255
Cost of exhaust elbow: $750.00
Time to remove old elbow, install new elbow, repair damaged showerhead (roughly 6-8hrs @127.50): $1020
Cost of 12VDC alternator: $125
Misc. expense to connect alternator to batteries and install breaker switch: approx. $105.00
Time to mount and install alternator (0.5hr@127.50): $63.75
Replace plugged air filter: $80.00
Total: $4420.75

These price are in Canadian and as such are about 30% higher than what you would expect if your looking and this from America.
I'm just wondering what everyone thinks of these prices do they seem high to you??? The 36v alternator especially seems quite high to me, but I know very little about Diesel engines. Thank you and hope you all are having a wonderful day!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... It all sounds stupidly high to me,... But I don't pay $128.@hour for labor, I do it myself,....

What's with the 36v alternator,..??

Kadentheboatlover

Seaman Apprentice
We have a 36 volt starter and as such the mechanic said that we were completely "missing an alternator" I don't know how that's possible however... I know nothing about diesels.

alldodge

Staff member
We have a 36 volt starter and as such the mechanic said that we were completely "missing an alternator" I don't know how that's possible however... I know nothing about diesels.

If your having a CAT dealer do the work then yes this would be understandable. CAT is very proud of their stuff and charge high dollar to work on it. As for the parts, CAT also has things called Classic parts which are not built to the same quality and sell for less. The Classic parts are not across the board, only the ones which have been used for many years in many different machines/motors.

Its not unusual for a 36V ALT to be that high from CAT. If I knew your motor serial and build numbers I might be able to find the part on SIS (CAT's part system)

That said if your willing to do some of the work you could get by cheaper

BTW, what is this motor in and why all the parts? Something happen of new install?