2004 Merc D4.2 220HP

Salacia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All

My search for a new boat continues!!

I have found a Doral 2004 with a Merc D4.2 220hp in the pictures attached. I can't verify the hours and there seems to be a lot of paint flaking off the motor etc. which concerns me. Am I worrying about nothing or are these things important? I

P.S the hour meter shows 40 hours and the guy claims it was changed just before he got it 2 years ago for what it is worth and it only has service history for the last two years.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Rob

Attachments

• photo256804.JPG
    photo256804.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo256805.JPG
    photo256805.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
There well made motors and if taken care of they run a long time. Finding parts online doesn't seem to be much of an issue either.

Hour meter replaced and shows 40, and only 2 years worth of records, this kind of gives me the willy's. Could take it out and run it real hard and see if something shows up, but other then that, not much other then doing compression test. Paint missing doesn't concern me.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Agree with AllDodge. Paint flaking not a concern. Hour merger being changed is a concern. However it's a diesel. With any measurable maintenance, it should run at least 5000 hours prior to overhaul

wrench 3

Commander
If it starts good and doesn't smoke excessively I'd be happy with it.

Salacia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys I will go back to the broker and see if he can get more servicing details.
Do you think the hours might be an issue on resale?

alldodge

Staff member
No, its just a concern as to why it was replaced. If it has high hours someone would change it to hide the fact. It could be for another reason, its just a concern not a show stopper. This is the reason your asking questions, so the next buyer will probably ask the same

Salacia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Folks

In an interesting turn of events it would appear that the boat has a full service history which actually makes me a lot happier as I would take a high hours engine that's well serviced over a low hours and neglected motor any day. With this in mind I think it's worth a closer look :)