Westerbeke 15KW Gen

alldodge

Staff member
My sisters boat is going to need the diesel Gen replaced or rebuilt. The motor starts right up but has white smoke (unburned fuel) out the exhaust along with a tab bit of engine oil. Compression test shows No 1 is at 425 but the rest get lower down to 390 cold. Warm test come up some but not enough. Getting parts shouldn't be a major issue but Westerbeke are very proud of their parts. The electric head unit is good

The Gen is model 15-BTD which I think makes it a series 63 motor, serial number 155278-C803. Have found a parts manual for the B and C versions and have also found where the motor might be a Perkins. If its a Perkins then parts should be able to be found cheaper. I can rebuild the motor, but if we could find a low hour motor to just replace, this could be a easy option

So my issues and or questions are:
Is it a Perkins motor or unique Westerbeke?
Maybe find a different manufacture (Onan, Kohler, CAT) but will it attach to the Gen head?
Know of any good sources for parts?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
westerbeke made a bunch of their own motors, and yes, they are dang proud of their parts

alldodge

Staff member
My buddies boat as a gas powered one, and he would like to replace the distributor cap, but the three cylinder cap cost gave him a good shock

alldodge

Staff member
I'll mention it to him, at that price it would be worth a try.

Found a Onan Gen on ebay saying it runs good for 1700. The biggest issue will be getting the 650 pound think out of the boat. Guessing the motor alone may be in the 400 range

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, since I'm working against gravity, and it may help going back in :rolleyes: