port engine not engaging

Divergirl

Cadet
Hi All,

About 1 year ago I had a problem where the port engine was hesitating when put into forward gear, not reverse. At one point, and upon leaving my dock, it stopped engaging all together and it was not pretty getting her back to the dock. The engines are Volvo Penta diesels, TAMD74 P-B. I called upon a Volvo Penta tech who had been referred to me by Volvo Penta themselves, back 1 year before for a safety recall on the SB engine. The resolution, last October, was the replacement of the shifting solenoid spindle. Not the shifting solenoid, just the spindle. Everything seemed to be fine until last Sat. and the problem reared its ugly head once again. Keep in mind that it engages just fine into reverse...just not forward.

There is a guy in the NYC area, who in May of 2015 bought the exact same boat, same model, same year, similar engine hours as mine....and he was experiencing the same problem with the port. The exact problem in fact. His technician tried a gazillion things with nothing resolving the problem until he swapped the computers and put the SB on the port and vice versa. He has had no problem with port so far this boating season.

Anyone?

"tanks",
Divergirl

alldodge

Staff member
Never heard that one, the computer controls the motor. I can only see by swapping the computers does nothing but cleaning the pin contacts or the computer. Might have just been a bad connection

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer
Find your MS units. In main harness somewhere close to helm station. Unplug and swap see if problem moves. It really needs to be done when problem is happening. If problem doesn't move you will have to breakout solenoid wiring and check power signal when shifting.