Store Links Mobile - Shop Now

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

SITE MAINTENANCE

The iBoats Forums will be down for maintenance starting at 1 PM MST on 12/16/2017. The estimated amount of downtime is 3 hours. Thanks for being a part of the iBoats community!
2 of 2 < >

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Below are some additional forum policies in hopes of all iboats members will follow, Thank you.

1. Please do not reply to old topics or hijack existing topics. Old topics of a technical nature are like a library book, Please do not write in them.

2. Old topics should be considered archives and used for reference only. Please do not reply to them.

3. Do not take over someone else’s topic (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new topic of your own.

4. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the topic is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old topic.

5. By starting your own topic, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it’s posted at the end of someone else’s topic. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

6. Please do not post to topics that have been inactive for more than 3 months unless you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any topic that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old topic.

7. Posting at the end of any topic is considered to be hijacking the original posters topic which in turn subjects the topic to be closed if it continues to happen thus not making it fair to the original poster in the future had for some reason he/she needed to return for additional information or provide an update of the problem solved which is always welcomed within a reasonable amount of time frame.

8. Please note that you should see a red banner pop up near the bottom of each inactive topic asking you not to reply to old topics. The Red banner will read: Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Cleaning Turbochargers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Turbochargers

Hi All,
    Just replaced the whole starboard turbocharger on the Volvo Penta TAMD74P-B diesel. Upon sea trial we noticed the port turbo was lagging behind the new SB turbo a tad so the tech said it probably needs to be cleaned. I asked what that entailed and he answered that it needed to be removed and taken to the shop but, I thought I read an article about a product that can be used to clean a turbo without removal. Anyone have any knowledge on this and/or any suggestions and advice?

"tanks",
    Divergirl

Hi me again

I don't think cleaning the turbo will do much good. Reason behind my thinking is the SB turbo was worn out, housing was eroded and waste gate in bad shape. When a turbo housing wears the gap between the vanes and the housing gets larger. When those gaps increase the turbo needs to spin faster to produce the amount of pressure the engine needs.

When the turbo spins faster it can reach an over speed issue even for the turbo. This over speed condition will cause the turbo to eroded and bearings to be damaged. Turbos do have a max rpm and that is usually around 10K rpms, cannot say what VP design is.

My thought is you need another turbo and I know you don't want to hear that. You could just run it until it gives the ghost up as the port motor did and have it done then
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 SeaDoo GTX
    Raw Water Pump Maintenance
    Merc Adults Only
    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... I've never heard of havin' to "Clean" a turbo before either,....

Ya clean the air goin' through it,....

Turbos are pretty much maintenance free,...

Bolt it on, it works til it don't, then replace it,...

Just feed 'em clean air, 'n clean oil,....
      Last edited by Bondo; July 22nd, 2016, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Rule-#1 -never idle a diesel motor for long periods of time.
        Diesel exhaust is a sticky gas at idle, as it is not fully burnt and you will get the so called carbon build up on the impellers, this makes them heavier, and heavier makes them slower to spin up.

(If this was a HWY truck it could be dusted, but I bet it is not)

Pull it, get it cleaned and inspected,

and bring the motor up to running temperature before you shut it down
        home is where we drop anchor

Comment

Originally posted by Divergirl View Post
          Hi All,
          Just replaced the whole starboard turbocharger on the Volvo Penta TAMD74P-B diesel. Upon sea trial we noticed the port turbo was lagging behind the new SB turbo a tad so the tech said it probably needs to be cleaned. I asked what that entailed and he answered that it needed to be removed and taken to the shop but, I thought I read an article about a product that can be used to clean a turbo without removal. Anyone have any knowledge on this and/or any suggestions and advice?

"tanks",
          Divergirl
          Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

Cleaning a turbo can mean many things. VGT (variable geometry) turbos can can be "sooted" up in the area where the individual vanes are actuated by a single plate type unison ring. The (usually stainless steel) unison ring will be sliding on the cast iron housing which can be rusty and covered with soot making it stick. That in turn makes the vanes stick in a position that reduces boost considerably (or results in overboost.......it's a real problem with the 2003-2010 Ford (IHI) Powerstroke diesels)

Your engine as near as I can tell does NOT have a Variable Geometry Turbocharger. It does appear to have a waste gate. (for controlling boost by venting either some exhaust past the turbo or venting actual boost pressure to limit maximum boost) If the waste gate is stuck OPEN, or is not closing, it will limit boost.

I thought I read an article about a product that can be used to clean a turbo without removal
          There's really not much to a "regular" turbo. 1 moving part usually, turbine and compressor "wheels" spinning(very fast) on a common shaft supported by 2 bearings.

There's sometimes additional moving parts in either the wastegate or VGT system (if installed) . Those are usually operated by electric, oil or air pressure servo's

All that additional stuff can make them more complicated and there's more "stuff" to "break"

If the waste gate is sticking due to rust or soot, (and causing a loss of boost) it will have to be disassembled and the rust and/or soot removed and reassembled to fix it. Unfortunately, there is no mechanic in a can for most things.

And, after they get it apart, they may find they still want to replace the turbo....

Sorry about that,

Rick

1987 FourWinns 211 Liberator, Originally an OMC 460 King Cobra.
          Re-powered in 2006 with a 1997 Mercruiser 7.4L Bravo III

Comment

And to just add, if you get a rebuild, find a shop that will balance the turbo impellers - there are two -the exhaust side and the air/intake side. They may not be be very heavy but they spin very fast.
            home is where we drop anchor

Comment

Keep in mind that this boat has 700 hours. I should not have to be replacing turbochargers at this point. I should be getting thousands of hours on them. The SB turbo corroded because water got through the exhaust riser and I think this was due to a gen repair done 3 years ago, I know the SB exhaust system was disassembled and reassembled several times and, I believe it was never reassembled correctly therefore, water entered the turbo and corroded everything. Before the SB turbo stopped performing, both of them were running at 2100-2200 rpm. Now the SB is new, running at 2200 rpm and the port is getting1900. Just plain strange to me.

Comment

Keep in mind that this boat has 700 hours. I should not have to be replacing turbochargers at this point.
                Yeah. 700hrs is nothing on a Turbo.

If you're getting water up into the exhaust system, that needs to be fixed pronto!

Comment

You bring up a good point which I overlooked from your Formula posts, 700 hours is not much, it is strange its starting right after the SB was fixed. A little water shouldn't have done that much of an issue normally, the heat would have taken care of it. I have some heavy equipment with over 6000 hours and still going strong, but I'm inland. Salt air does some bad things to metal. I'm a bit skeptic but it does sound like you have a company which knows their stuff, but also is high priced.

It could be turbo/waste gate, fuel pressure/restiction, exhaust restriction, intake restriction (inner cooler/air filter). For the shop to go straight to the turbo before checking testing, kind of gives me the impression of a WAG.
                  94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
                  95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
                  07 SeaDoo GTX
                  Raw Water Pump Maintenance
                  Merc Adults Only
                  G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

I wouldn't expect a diesel (Turbo or NA) to have reversion issues, so I might also be looking at the original installation and the distance between the static waterline and the top of the exhaust riser. If the installation places the waterline close to the top of the riser, inclement weather, waves etc may have "sloshed" some water more than once over the hump and into the turbo where it would sit until the engine is restarted. If it happened at a dock or mooring, corrosive seat water would sit there until the engine was run again.

Comment

No, no water coming in anywhere in the engine room of this boat. The SB, which was just repaired, had the exhaust system disassembled and reassembled several times for a gen repair, not the port. When the tech was diagnosing the SB turbo problem, he look at and took pictures of the port compression wheel and it appeared to be clean as a whistle. It is just that it is lagging behind the new SB turbo now at 1800-1900 rpm.

Comment

No, no water coming in anywhere in the engine room of this boat. The SB, which was just repaired, had the exhaust system disassembled and reassembled several times for a gen repair, not the port. When the tech was diagnosing the SB turbo problem, he look at and took pictures of the port compression wheel and it appeared to be clean as a whistle. It is just that it is lagging behind the new SB turbo now at 1800-1900 rpm.

Well, they won't know anything until they determine fuel delivery, boost pressure, wastegate position, exhaust temp, etc...

If you don't have it, you can get familiar with some of the engine operating specifications from the following Volvo manual.
                        http://www.kb-kbh.dk/shipslib/motore...hnicaldata.pdf

Comment

on some of those giant low speed diesels, they use walnut shells to clean the hot wheel. I remember seeing engines with a little cup on the side of the exhaust manifold where you would put the shells and then open a flap and they would blast it.
                          I wouldn't try it on your little Volvo though. lol.
                          Baba-buoy.

Comment

Speaking of boost pressure.....I have a brand new boost pressure sensor gauge(?) which was returned to me yesterday by the guy I "fired" who was originally working on the SB turbo problem. As my boat did not need this part, I am going to try to sell it however, I thought the Volvo packaging would have the part number on it and all I see is 48 cm3 and then someone wrote in magic marker 881 708 on the box....anyone know the correct part number so I can advertise it?

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Sterndrive View Post
                              on some of those giant low speed diesels, they use walnut shells to clean the hot wheel. I remember seeing engines with a little cup on the side of the exhaust manifold where you would put the shells and then open a flap and they would blast it.
                              I wouldn't try it on your little Volvo though. lol.
                              That probably works good with a large diameter slow turning turbine.......
                              But on one turning over 100,000 RPM .....There might be fireworks!

Comment

Working...
                              X