VOLVO D4 heat exchanger question

zimski1

Recruit
Hello to all! After 300 h on D4 225 motor I have salt water where sweet water should be
frown.png

So I have dismantled everything, broken housing of heath exchanger is tho cause!

Can someone tell me what is one hole on front of the pipes? there are like 50 tubes from front to end but one hole is linkage between salt and sweet water?! its on the middle. Is something missing there? cap? someone Tnx for help! see att pic

Best regards!

Attachments

• IMG_3535.JPG
    IMG_3535.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3534.JPG
    IMG_3534.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
looks like someone drilled the end of it, or shot at it.

that hole should not be there.

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
So the outer housing is broken also?
You are not the original owner? Tell us the whole back story.
That heat exchanger core can be fixed by a good heat exchanger shop. Maybe even a radiator shop. It looks like it needs 1 new tube and that hole in the middle welded up. Volvo will want thousands for a new one.

zimski1

Recruit
Hello, tnx for answers!

We have welded now the outer housing of heathexc. and tested it on 1bar pressure, and its ok for now. We have also contacted the authorized dealer and his response was similar to yours: that hole shouldn't be there!! You can purchase new core! WHAT??

Still don't know what to do with the hole?! With what can we weld this material?

And yes, we are first owner of the boat, the boat came direct from a dealer in France, new one! And the heathexc. was newer before taken apart, so that hole must have been from factory error.

Will keep you posted, in 14 day we get all the O-rings and putting all together. Hope for the best!

Best regards!

K-2

Chief Petty Officer
So if you look through that hole you can see the tubes?
In other words the water can get through? Heat exchangers have what they call 2 sides, the shell side and the tube side, whatever flows through each side must not mix with the other side.
For instance the inside of tubes is antifreeze coolant, outside the tubes (shell side) is raw water.
That hole needs to be fixed if it goes all the way through. I'm guessing it's bronze? Find a welder and have him braze it closed.
Make sure the tubes surrounding that hole are not punctured.
I can noit figure out how the hole got there. The factory must have put it together with the hole in it.
As said, should be under warranty.
Did you price a new one? My guess, at least $2,000 US dollars, probably way more!