Frozen steering cables

climb29028

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone. My cousin is trying to get a late 1960's Hourston Glascraft boat back on the water but he believes his steering cables are frozen because he cannot turn the steering wheel and the motor will not budge. Can this happen if the boat has been sitting too long? Is there anyway to fix this other than putting in brand new steering cables? Thanks.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
First of all ensure that it's the cable and not the engine/outdrive....don't know how a Glascraft is powered. I know OBs have a grease zerk on the side of the tube where the engine pivots, immediately to the rear of the clamp bracket on the left (port) side.

Cables can and do freeze up over time. Check on here for new ones or go to Teleflex www. Your part number is stamped in the cable near one end and the last two numbers are the length in inches.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would remove the cable connection and then you can verify if it is the cable or the pivot on the engine. No other way to determine... But I'm with Texasmark in thinking it is going to be the cable. JMHO!

BillP

Captain
Late 60s boats typically had rubber coated wire wrapped around a drum on the steering wheel. If this the type you have its the wheel or motor. I've never seen a drum lock up but motors yes at the turning bracket. Lube and heat for this one. If its a modern a push pull cable they usually lock up at the back exposed section that rides in and out of the sleeve. Heating that section often loosens them up, then lube it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
If my steering cable is seized up, I replace it. Period. I would never trust a cable that has been unfrozen...

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
have to find out first if your cousin's boat has the newer tilt tube/ram, or the cable and pulley system.

BillP

Captain
If my steering cable is seized up, I replace it. Period. I would never trust a cable that has been unfrozen...

To each his own. Not much to damage unless someone uses a torch to unstick them. Where I live on saltwater they normally stick at the steering tube from hardened grease or at a small area near the tube end with salt crust from exposure to the weather. The cable cores and ends are normally ss or ss/brass and don't get compromised. Some of the really old cables were of lesser quality and I've experienced cable covering rusting up beyone repair but that was decades ago. Anymore, mild heat normally loosens them without drama.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
yeah, remember similar issues down in Maryland. had to check and see how serious the corrosion was, and make a decision. Kept steering rams well lubed, but even then (as you indicate) there could be issues. BUT way up here in freshwater NY, it's less of a problem. Hooks on plugs last a little longer too -- like this better, but kind of miss the Rockfish now and then.