1957 evinrude big twin 35 w simplex control box

eolsen

Seaman
I have a 1957 evinrude big twin 35. I am using the two handle evinrude simplex control box. I have trouble with the boat staying in forward gear when using the controls. I have to push and almost hold the control forward or it pops out of gear. If I disconnect the control cable and just shift manually there is no problem. Any ideas?

eolsen

Seaman
I also put brand new control cables on. I had the problem with the old cables and still have the problem with the new

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
That's a new one on me. normally the problem is with the throttle creeping back. There are no gears or springs inside the control that should cause it to come out of gear. What do the bends in the cable look like? Are they big sweeping curves?

zeke67

Cadet
Assuming the new cable has the threaded adjuster, or is it the fixed "bead" end? If it's the threaded type, then try adjusting the cable fixed end so that you get a more positive engagement in gear. Maybe you can try having the motor in gear, the shift handle in the correct gear position, and then adjusting the cable so the cable end engages the motor shift handle.

When you had the controls apart, was the spring loaded detent ball in the shift handle?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
When you had the controls apart, was the spring loaded detent ball in the shift handle?

The old 2 lever simplex control doesn't have/use a detent ball. The detent is inside the engine.

zeke67

Cadet
What I meant by "old" was referring to the round shoulder style. Mid fifties with fins until '58 and then smooth until replaced by the larger square style in the early sixties. There is a spring loaded detent in both the shifter and throttle levers. More of a shell over a spring than a ball (although I've replaced and seen replaced with a ball.) The shell sits against/over a spring captured by a welch plug staked into the aluminum lever. The actual detent divots are in the aluminum housings. I've never seen a shifter detent missing, but Ive seen three different throttle levers with missing or mangled detents and springs. Thought it was worth a guess (and a bump for the OP) but I still think it's solvable with the cable adjustment.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
fixed and running yet? saw your post on the J&E forum as well. Got the cables reversed? shift cable goes to the short lever, throttle to the tall one (actually, not sure it could be reversed w/o looking at one of mine, but presume it could. Throw/travel would be different.)

eolsen

Seaman
Ok sorry it took so long......I took the boat out and disconnected the shift cable. I had no jerking or popping out of gear issues. I then hooked up the cable and adjusted the threaded dial in all locations and had the jerking mostly in the beginning and until I reach plane then it's pretty good after that but not perfect. It has done this since I have acquired the boat. Should I try a new control box?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Check the cable end inside the control. If it was not installed correctly the cable could be too short and not making a full travel. There is a correct way and a wrong way to install the cable inside the box.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
To be correct I guess I should say there is a correct way to assemble the cable end. It will only install one way.