Add controls or buy a different boat?

Clint KY

Seaman
I have a Monark 1648 with a 1975 Electric start Evinrude tiller steer. I would like to add controls to the boat. Adding this would include a console, steering assembly and a motor control. Would I be better off just finding a different boat with all this included?

Clint
Far West Kentucky

alldodge

Staff member
I have a Monark 1648 with a 1975 Electric start Evinrude tiller steer. I would like to add controls to the boat. Adding this would include a console, steering assembly and a motor control. Would I be better off just finding a different boat with all this included?

Clint
Far West Kentucky

Howdy Clint
That question depends on how much you like the boat or if you can find a donor boat. If you really like the boat then the cost is not measured into it. If you can find a donor boat then cost will be much less. Now if you want to go new then I would find another boat. Need to build a console, add helm and throttle/shift controls and all that will add quite a bit

AD from far south central KY

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
The other part of this equation is the engine. Most all 1975 tiller OMC engines do not have a steering tilt tube which will make this conversion even harder.

Clint KY

Seaman
The other part of this equation is the engine. Most all 1975 tiller OMC engines do not have a steering tilt tube which will make this conversion even harder.
It took me some googling to find a picture of what the Tilt Tube is and you are correct, my motor does not have one. It has the keyhole in the D handle for the old cable and pulley type steering. I guess I will start looking for another boat.

Thanks

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Might be cheaper in the long run. Can you get by with using the tiller until you find another? Some people like tillers for fishing, others don't. I'm one of the don'ts.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Could always go the stick steering route... JMHO!

Clint KY

Seaman
Might be cheaper in the long run. Can you get by with using the tiller until you find another? Some people like tillers for fishing, others don't. I'm one of the don'ts.
I will keep my tiller boat till I find a likely candidate and get it in working order. I will then decide to keep or sell (likely) it. Lots of boats in my area that have been left to sit for long periods.

Could always go the stick steering route... JMHO!
This would be my first choice. I think operating the boat from the front makes more sense to me. However it requires a Tilt&Trim motor as I fish skinny waters and the motor would have to be lifted. Having to got aft to raise and lower the motor would make the front steer less advantageous.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Doing a quick search what I see is that hull has a max hp of only 30hp. Be hard to find an engine of that size with a power tilt on it. The 1990 and newer 40hp Evinrudes can be found with factory power. Something to keep in mind if looking.

Clint KY

Seaman
No Title

Here is my solution to wanting a boat with remote steering and controls. Bought from one of the guys with whom I fish from time to time. He was not willing to do the rebuilding needed so I got it very reasonably.

Attachments

• photo232068.jpg
    photo232068.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1

64osby

Admiral
Nice find.

If the motor is as big as the black bag / cover, your going to need a bigger boat. :faint2:

Last edited:

Clint KY

Seaman
It is a 1985 Monark 1644V Bassfinder with an Evinrude 50HP VRO on a Dilly Trailer. The floors are rotted and the PO did not want to mess with it. It has been stored inside for 3 to 5 years and started 2 years ago. There is precious little information about it on the web and the company is gone. I am now trying to get some data on the trolling motor as it appears to be a 12V/24V motor but with only one power wire hooked up.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Shouldn't be too difficult a project, take you time and observe how it's put together. Try and save what plywood there is as it will make it easier to make new templates.. Those 2 cylinder OMC's are nice motors, I have 2 of them.

Clint KY

Seaman
Try and save what plywood there is as it will make it easier to make new templates.

I removed the front deck and the only thing holding what little plywood is left is the carpet. I can fold what I took out two times, so there will not be a lot of templates made. I will get some plywood, lay the carpet out and draw a general outline and the just cut it out and fit it using my jig and recip saw. I plan to seal it well and then paint it and add some grit for traction. The other alternative is to try to find some .010 aluminum instead. And if I find it I will have to see if I can afford it.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Think I would just stick with the plywood. Cover the rig up to keep the rain off, but just replace flooring when you need to. Maybe some indoor/outdoor carpet with rubber backing, probably Lowe's or similar in bulk.