81 Evinrude 35 hp

osageinmt

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all. I found a 1981 Evinrude 35 mod # E35EC1G in a shed today, got it cheap, going to need some work I'm sure.
The mice had been at the motor for a couple years it looks like, quite a few of the wires have insulation missing etc:

This motor was set-up for forward controls, but they were nowhere to be found. So what type/brand remote control should I be looking for ? Single lever or 2 levers ? the wire connector on the motor has 5 pins in it, the key and switch are also missing.

I got this motor thinking I would swap my tiller controls from my 1981 25 hp Evinrude to the 35, but I may convert to forward controls just not sure yet.

here is a pic of the connector that is still on the motor: any help would be much appriciated.

Attachments

• photo225550.jpg
    photo225550.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0

osageinmt

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

So where and into what does this plug into: I'm going to have to rewire it as most of the wires going into it have been chewed up or melted due to a short or something.

If I get an older control box, do I just use a seperate switch for the ignition ? I know the plug is not required for the motor to run cause I have run the motor in a barrel with it just hanging off the side. I'm guessing the plug is wired for the stuff you would normally have on a boat ie: bilge pump, nav lights, etc: If I dont need these things can I just skip the plug ?

Attachments

• photo225550.jpg
    photo225550.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo225737.jpg
    photo225737.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo225738.jpg
    photo225738.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
osageinmt, first thing I would suggest is for you to buy the factory specific shop manual for your, new-to-you, engine. Make sure you get the factory, year, HP, model specific manual and not some aftermarket manual that tries (poorly I may add) to cover too many engines. The factory shop manual will cover everything from bearing clearances to paint color numbers, to wiring diagrams to disassembling and rebuild your engine... It is the bible for your engine. And that round plug actually gets connected to the control assembly at the helm. So that way your key start and run and press for choke and such things actually works from there. So you do need that if you go remote with it. It also allows for you to turn OFF the engine with the key AND the kill switch as well. So buy that manual and start. Make sure you post progress pictures on here as well. I actually rebuilt a '76 40HP Johnson engine and you can see it by clicking on the link provided below if you like... :thumb:

osageinmt

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Thank you.
I was lucky in the fact that I have a 81 25 hp evinrude as well and I have the factory service manual for it. The 81 35 hp is covered as well as they are almost identical.
I have never seen the control box that would go with this 35 hp motor, doing a bit of research I'm learning slowly. I wish the pictures in the shop manual were a little better, most are kind of dark.

The few older controls I have seen in pictures on Craigslist and E-bay don't seem to have any electrical connectors on them, I may be looking at too old of a control box.
Do these type for sale new have electrical connectors, or just cable hookups for shift and throttle ?
http://www.iboats.com/Side-Mount-Dua...view_id.256254

I guess this is the wire harness I would need, too rich for my blood, I will try to rebuild what is left of mine first.

http://www.iboats.com/OMC-Harness-4...0052283--session_id.557786585--view_id.711461

Attachments

• photo225757.jpg
    photo225757.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo225758.JPG
    photo225758.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo225759.JPG
    photo225759.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
That black plug end you show is called a cannon plug. Not sure which years it was used thru but it will also work with the red cannon plug for the start, run, choke, off. The black plug does not have pins for the temp alarm.

All three of those controls will work for shift and throttle but will need an external key switch. Also the single lever control will work on your engine and has the benefit of having the key with it. If I were to be looking for a control I would look used for a single lever with the control wire for the switch still with it. Watch ebay and graigslist for one and be ready to pay between $50.00 to $150.00 for one. Also you do not need the one with the red switch on the handle for a tilt n trim unit so that should make it easier.

osageinmt

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you very much, good to know that the plug on my motor will fit the red plugs. I see lots of controls for sale with the red plug.

I have found a steering bracket for a tiller setup, so thats the way I'm going to go for now. I will keep an eye out for a good used single lever control with key as I may want to go with forward controls in the future.

again thank you very much for your insight :joyous: