Changing pulley steering to rod steering?

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I have a old merc that has pully steering and am considering replacing the hull or rebuilding it. I have noticed that it is hard to find a hull with a pulley steering system or even parts online to restore my current hull. Is it possible to convert the motors steering to a rod style steering system? If so any advice on it?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You would have to be a LOT more specific about what your "old merc" is but yes it's possible... Just takes different stuff depending on what engine you have.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
As Smoke said - The short answer is yes and what you need is dependent on the motor. What do you have?

What's so wrong with the boat that you would consider replacing it because of parts?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Parts for the pulley system shouldnt be hard to find.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
As Smoke said - The short answer is yes and what you need is dependent on the motor. What do you have?

What's so wrong with the boat that you would consider replacing it because of parts?
It is a 1977 Merc 50 HP and the boat has sank 2 times we figure. I know for sure it sank once and we think maybe once more before I bought it. It is a bit water logged to say the least but it still floats and does well enough but would like to fix it or replace it.

GA_Boater

It is a 1977 Merc 50 HP and the boat has sank 2 times we figure. I know for sure it sank once and we think maybe once more before I bought it. It is a bit water logged to say the least but it still floats and does well enough but would like to fix it or replace it.

Sunk once or twice - Good reason.

A '77 Merc 50 should have a tilt tube for a steering cable to fit through and connect to the steering rod. There are kits to get around having a steering rod. It all depends on what boat you get. Or if you stay with this one, dry her out and fix her up.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Sunk once or twice - Good reason.

A '77 Merc 50 should have a tilt tube for a steering cable to fit through and connect to the steering rod. There are kits to get around having a steering rod. It all depends on what boat you get. Or if you stay with this one, dry her out and fix her up.
Yeah figured that would be a good reason to although not needed. I have been googling to see what I can find for advice or kits and have come up blank. Any idea where I could find a kit?

Also here is a image that is the same style of steering as I currently have.
http://s290.photobucket.com/user/Fuzzeywiggler/media/BoatRepair116.jpg.html

GA_Boater

All you need is the steering link rod like the first link in post #6 and hook it up like the HTH link. The rod is adjustable for length.