Power Steering Going?

gibbywmu2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Everyone,

I noticed my power steering was acting a little funky this weekend. It semmed as if at planed
speeds, it was ok and nothing abnormal. At slow speeds, maybe 5mph or less, the wheel semmed a bit
hard to turn back and forth. I checked the ps fluid yesterday morning, when the boat was cold...and it was
definitely low so I added. I also checked the cylinder in the back, and I didn't see any leaks. Could it be
that the fluid being low simply caused this? I wasn't aware ps fluid actually ever got low. My boat is in my driveway right now,
and you can easily move the outdrive from side to side (although not completely hard over to either side).

Will filling to the correct fluid level resolve this problem, or should I be concerned about the ps completely failing soon? I'll attach
pics of the cylinders just in case anyone wants to see.

I have a 1997 Mercruiser 7.4L w/ Bravo One.

Attachments

• IMG_6957.JPG
    IMG_6957.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6958.JPG
    IMG_6958.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6956.JPG
    IMG_6956.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6955.JPG
    IMG_6955.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 0

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
It doesn't get low unless it leaks or foams up and overflows.... There is an underlying problem.... It HAD to go somewhere.

gibbywmu2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Kevin,

I agree. Although I did check for leaks and found none, you are right. It had to go somewhere. Could it be that the cylinder is slowly leakinf and will eventually fail? Or is it more likely that the pump will fail?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
No clue... Could be a leaking power steering cooler too... That leaks into the water intake hose so it goes through the engine and out the exhaust.

gibbywmu2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Kevin,

Could you kindly show me where the power steering cooler is also? I could check around the area for leaks there as well.

Scott