Steering Cable Rod Siezed or Not?

steelyonfly

Seaman Apprentice
See my boat's description below. Steering cable work is totally new to me.

It's a mechanical push-pull type of steering system. I'm down to having the cable unbolted from the steering control arm with the arm detached and the large nut around the steering cable is also off. I've sprayed inside the trim tube and as best I could where the rod comes out of the trim tube with CB Penetrating fluid. Hopefully this will help. In case it made a difference, with the extra hand of a neighbor I went ahead and pulled the cable out of the steering, as well. Hopefully, it goes in just like it came out.

Before i pulled the cable out of the steering, I could push and pull on the cable and the steering wheel turned, but the rod end of the cable sticking out of the trim tube wouldn't move. So it seems to be siezed inside the trim tube. Or is it? Before I start banging on the rod to try and drive it out, am I going to damage anything? Is the trim tube slotted and the nuts on both ends of the tube are holding the trim tube closed tight? Could this be why the rod can't be pulled out and appears to be siezed?

steelyonfly

Seaman Apprentice
No respnse. Well ladies and gents, after a suggestion that I should do it myself and 3 days later without progress and no help from the forum, I am taking it in to be worked on. I should have trusted my gutt to have it worked on instead of listening to others.

Bondo

Staff member
Could this be why the rod can't be pulled out and appears to be siezed?

Ayuh,.... It's common for the cable to seize in the tube,....

Sorry I didn't find this sooner,....