Cost of Steering Repair on 1999 Tracker PT175

steelyonfly

Seaman Apprentice
Just when I get the motor running well and do an impeller job, I go to turn the motor with the steering wheel and it's siezed. It will not budge. I don't know if the steering cable has ever been replaced as I am not the original owner. It has always been a little stiff though. I guess the Winter took it's toll even though it had a garage to sit in all Winter & Spring.

It's my decision to have this done by a repair shop. I'm tired of working on the boat and it sounds more involved than a 1 person job. I would like to hear from any of you on what this could cost and what to pay attention to when I'm being sold the price for the work. If any of you are familiar with the market for boat repairs in the Olympia, WA area, I would especially like to hear from you! I've never had any work done on this boat or motor by someone else and I've never taken a boat in to be repaired.

The work I think that needs done is replacing the steering cable, but in addition to this, I've always disliked how stiff the throttle is, so I will ask to have the throttle cable replaced as well. Gear shifting cable, if different from the throttle cable, maybe that, too. So, what do you think? What kind of work, both materials and labor, do you think will need to be done. In other words, is it only the cables that will need to be replaced or are there other parts I am not aware of? Are there other parts or work on the steering that I should be done at the same time to avoid later problems?

Thanks for all the help and advice you guys have given me.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
Difficult to come up repair cost as we don't know what's wrong. Could be the motor is tight or the rack or the rotary. Thinkin you need it all and you can buy the whole system right here for less than the cost of having a shop just diagnose it. I think you could do the replacement in an evening.

steelyonfly

Seaman Apprentice
Georgesalmon, if it was the motor or trailer, i know I could do it. You just mentioned a few things that I didn't know should be considered. I don't have a lot of free time and I frequently work weekends, too. I will think about it. Anyone else to chime in?

steelyonfly

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, I'm trying to work on it. It's just a mechanical type of steering system. I'm down to having the cable unbolted from the steering control arm with the arm detached and the large nut around the steering cable is also off. I can pull and push on the cable and the steering wheel turns, but the rod end of the cable sticking out of the trim tube doesn't move. So it's siezed inside the trim tube. Before I start banging on the rod to try and drive it out, am I going to damage anything? I have not detached from the steering column under the helm. Do I need to in order to get the rod out of the trim tube?

steelyonfly

Seaman Apprentice
One more thing, I've sprayed inside the trim tube and as best I could where the rod comes out of the trim tube with WD40. Hopefully this will help. I might go ahead and pump some grease through the grease zirks on the trim tube, as well.

steelyonfly

Seaman Apprentice
Now that I'm elbow deep in doing the repair myself and need advice, i've started a new topic. Mods: I'm considering this topic finished.