Autopliot

spurchaserx

Recruit
OK folks
I am rigging a new to me 2008Trophy Pro 2352 5.7 Liter Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 2.
It has the infamous power assist Teleflex rack and pinion steering. I do not know if this is NFB steering.
Anyone out there with a similar rig that can recommend an autopilot setup that is currently available?
Can anyone comment on the install.
I would prefer not to convert to hydraulic steering at this time.
More concerned with trolling speeds rather than point A to B running.
I'd like to do it myself but if this is overly complicated will consider dealer install in NE Ohio.
Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Spur.

Moved this to the Steering and Controls section. Not many knowledgeable folks will see it in the Trophy area. A much better shot for good advice in this section. Good luck.

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class
Raymarine Sport Pilot SPX5R or the new EV200 Sport Pilot! Had the SPX5R on my old boat and it held a dead course at any speed! Highly recommend it. Don't waste your time with the older black version (Sportpilot +), they suck pretty bad and you can't get parts for them anymore.

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class
The autopilot is very easy to install, the drive slides over the steering shaft and the wheel bolts to that. Biggest pain is getting the compass placed in a spot that is not affected by magnetic equipment such as pumps, engines, etc. The sensor that comes in the new EV system is much better to work with. Having done a few I could easily install the sport pilot in a day. Switching to hydraulic steering on my new boat (too big for my old Sport Pilot) took a week and cost around $1200 bucks.

djohn46972

Recruit
I would ask if you are only interested in an auto pilot while trolling do you use a kicker motor. I have been using a tr-1 autopilot for the kicker motor for several years. If you don't or you also want to be able to us your autopilot with the main motor I will defer to the other folks on this forum. I followed you from the Trophy forum.

spurchaserx

Recruit
SPX5 would be great. Unfortunately they are no longer available.
Not sure if a behind the helm unit would fit..
No kicker motor involved. I troll with bags & the main engine.

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class
The EV200 system can be purchased with the same wheel drive the SPX5 came with. Only other choice with cable steering is an Octopus drive, which can either piggyback the steering cable at the drive, or replace them helm depending on what style you get. Be aware JUST the drive is around $1000, and you'd still need to purchase an entire autopilot system to actuate it.

spurchaserx

Recruit
Thanks \duped

I have looked all over the internet for that Helm drive by Raymarine (SPX5) and cannot find it.

Do you have a source?