1992 Mercury 20 hp EL Tiller - Remote Conversion Please Help

JeffBoater

Recruit
Hi,
This is my first post on this forum and from all the great things I have read, I think I am in the right place!

I have a very low hour (almost new 1992 Mercury 20 hp electric start short shaft tiller. I recently purchased a new boat w/console steering and I want to convert this to a long shaft REMOTE steering. The long shaft conversion I figured this out through Bay MFG, however the tiller to remote has me very confused.

The shifting of this motor is done on the tiller handle itself. Is it possible for me to convert this to remote steer? I hate to sell this motor as it is truly a very good motor. I hope someone can help me. Thank you!!!!

Star

Chief Petty Officer
The total cost of long shaft conversion, tiller to remote on small motors is prohibitively expensive. Even if you do all the research and work. A scrap motor with remote is your best bet. What is the remote on the new boat? I have posts on here as to what I did with my 15hp 4 stroke and an old 1960 Gale control. I did have a machine shop at my disposal though. Using new Mercury parts it would be over $1000. I did retain the full tiller controls with the remote installed.