Loose steering

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I acquired a 1983 chapperal bowrider the other day, had her running on the hose and checked her out a bit. Found that the steering is rather loose, the wheel turns really easily, to easy. There is no play in the cable or on the steering arm at the lower unit. Is there an adjustment on steering cable tension on most helms? I know under power it's going to torque steer quite a bit, as I drove a similar boat a few years back, it was a handful to hang on to.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is your boat an outboard or I/O model?

Is your steering rotary cable, Rack/Pinion cable or power steering?

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I should have known better! Information is a plus. It's a mercruiser 120- I/O.Can't tell ya at the moment of its rack or rotary as I haven't stuck my head under there to look. I shall take a look tomorrow as it's in the lot at work.

oldjeep

Admiral
Could just be slop in the tilt unit. We had to replace one in my father inlaws Malibu due to the front bearing and ujoint wearing out.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
No power steering just manual. The wheel turns way to easily, I can move the lower unit with one finger both ways.
There is no slop in the cable, or steering arm.

Fed

Commander
I can move my 90HP outboard at the motor & at the wheel with one finger, that's a good thing IMO.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds like your boat might have Rack & Pinion "cable" type steering. Either single or dual cable system. Only way to confirm is visually.

Take boat for a normal drive. If hard cornering and rough wave riding is your thing, then do it. If fighting too much with its steering, you may need to install NFB steering system. Either single or dual cable system.

NFB helm system dramatically reduces movement (jerking) backfeed - from its motor to its attached steering wheel. Thus, smoother feel on its steering wheel. I recently installed NFB Rack&Pinion single cable system on my boat and love it. But if I had the spare dollars, I would have installed Power Steering system instead.

If wondering, my steering system "slop" was from worn out tilt system. Way too much movement within its joints. So, I removed its tilt helm and replaced with straight helm. And, installed new cable as well - to ensure its Rack and Pinion gears matched each other. Perfect solution for the low cost.

If you have spare dollars and plan to keep your boat for many years, upgrading to Power Steering system (which is much better) might work for you as well.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I dont think i'd change it to power steering. It's a 1983,if it holds up ten more years its good enough the way it is. I have to lake test yet, so I'm just trying to check up on a few things. Usually cables tighten up from corrosion, this one is loose.

Bondo

Staff member
Usually cables tighten up from corrosion, this one is loose.

Ayuh,.... Probably like Merc lower shift cables, the inner wears a groove in the outer, 'n slop becomes the problem,.....

A cable, 'n helm kit would probably fix it,.......

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
well,there is no slop,ya move the wheel just a tad,the drive moves the same,either way. ya move the drive,the wheel moves the same. Yeah its probably wore out,just not in a way I am used to.