OMC control adjustments

Lakeside 1

Cadet
I have just installed an OMC control box with tilt trim. It is a black control box that goes with my 1996 Johnson outboard. To my knowledge this control was altered when it was put on a pontoon boat. Now I have it on a 15 ft run a bout. The lock ring that is under the control lever seems to be out of whack. I loosened the allen screw from the back, took the control arm off to reposition it and had to turn the plastic ring to where the shifter would lock where I wanted it to. Now if it is in the lock position it won't crank. If I move it back, there is a small detent, the engine cranks in that position but it is actually in gear. This is a new used motor and while I claim to know a little apparently even that is not enough. I have been looking for manuals, ( I didn't get one with the motor) both online and in forums but none that I can get quick enough. Was hoping to have this done by fathers day because it was my fathers boat who is no longer with me. Sorry for the long explanation but that is the only way I know how to do it. I would appreciate any help I can get to finish this installation..Thank you

Last edited: