1969 mercury 200 20hp control hookup?

I just got this motor on a great deal. I have the control box which has two cables and two levers one for throttle and one for shifing the motor? Which one does what one is black and one is red? Also my final problem is how do you hookup the shift cable i can't figure this darn thing out. If anyone has pictures of how there cables are routed inside the cowl I would love to see them. Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It sounds like you have might one of these;

49380.gif

Red is the shift and black is throttle.

I not going to guess on the shift cable hook up on the motor end. I'll let some one who knows give you that. Good luck.

NEWWAVES

Cadet
I HAVE 20 HP MERCURY . IT HAS MERCONTROL BOX. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE TO GET OR SEE HOW CABLES HOOK UP IN BOX. THANKS

I can't figure out how to start a new thread! Does anyone know or have a schematic online for this motor? Finally I have compression spark and gas but the plugs seem to stay dry when I pulled them to look for wetness. The motor still won't crank up and run and it's getting irritating. Is it possible that my gas tank is pulling air into the carb? Finally I still need to know how to hook up theese controls for the motor my control box looks different than the one pictured. I have one white arm that has a red knob and one lever that lifts up. I beilve that that lever is to adjust the idle in neutral? Thanks for the help.

Star

Chief Petty Officer
On my old Gale the red knob has a friction adjustment so the arm doesn't move without firm pressure, I thought that it was the throttle. ... For gods sakes don't tell my wife, I have been beating it into her head that Red is throttle for six years and this season she actually got it right when I needed it... WOW!