Quicksilver/Mercury Remote Control Friction Adjustment???

bighermHK45

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have the Quicksilver Remote Control 88688A25 as indicated in the attached picture. It won't stay in WOT position and starts to move toward the neutral position if I don't keep my hand on it. Where is the friction adjustment located on this model?

Thanks for any assistance.
88688A25 Mercury Remote Control.jpg

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have the same controls, but dual binnacle. (It's basically two singles placed side by side.) Once you remove the chrome/black cover there should be two flathead screws on the side, up near the top. They are are basically right where the handle comes through the "frame". One is labeled friction, and one is labeled detent.

bighermHK45

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Nice, that seems simple enough and easy access. What is the detent adjustment for?

bighermHK45

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, I popped the cover off and found the two screws, but neither of them are marked. I am guessing the forward most screw is the friction one as the other screw is opposite of the ball bearing (which I assume is the detent), but I figured I would ask before I start adjusting anything.

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class
Correct, forward screw is friction. The markings are underneath the plastic disc that goes around the handle so you may have missed them or perhaps your control doesn't have them marked.