rough steering

yrsouth

Cadet
1982 Cimmaron fish and ski, 50 hp mercury. Steering got real tough to operate. Greased the heck outta the 2 zerks and still tough to operate. Disconnected steering at motor and motor turns easy, steering seems to have problems. How do I know what kind of steering it is? The back of steering wheel behind console has a long horizontal box looking thing. Is this rack and pinion? If so how to determine proper length of steering cable?

Fed

Commander
If the steering cable goes through the tilt tube then it's probably seizing in there.
Needs to be removed, cleaned out and greased.
Greasing the 2 zerks on the tilt tube does nothing as they only grease the outside of the tilt tube and the grease doesn't go though to the inside.

yrsouth

Cadet
The tube has the cable attached on one side( smaller diameter) and the steering knuckle on the other side(larger diameter) Do these come apart? Or does the whole thing(both sides) have to come out in one piece?

Fed

Commander
Might be best to put up a picture of what you have.

The steering cable should come out the starboard side by undoing the outer most nut and disconnecting the drag link from the end of the steering rod on the port side.

yrsouth

Cadet
Got the cable out and cleaned inside of tilt tube, fresh grease on everything and still croaks. Spoke with old salt who sold Cimmaron boats. He explained that the rack is positioned on the helm so as a sharp bend is required of the cable, resulting in wear on the cable at the sharp bend. I am considering conversion to rotary steer system, but have not checked out the cost of conversion. I sure do appreciate the advise you have offered.
Yankee Rebel South

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Recommend removing existing cable (while pulling out - pull in a fish rope) and with removed cable, take exact measurements. I recently replaced my steering system (rack and pinion) and instead of replacing only the cable, I replaced with new Helm system as well. Thus, ensuring its helm gears are properly matched with its factory paired cable. For 50 HP and one mostly "puts puts" around, recommend normal Rack / Pinion system. If 50 HP and do lots of hard / bumps speeds (like water sports and/or choppy waters), recommend Rack & Pinion in NFB (Non-FeedBack) design. NFB has a screw that can be adjusted to make steering more firm. Thus, less "feedback" motion from its bouncing / jerking motor to its steeling wheel. If existing system is Rack & Pinion, I'd replace with same R&P design. If you replace with Rotory design, its cable must also bend around sharp corners as well. I was told many times the R&P steering system is much stronger. And, can take more wear / tear abuse.

For more details on different steering systems (and prices), surf: http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Steering-...view_id.217122

BTW: For exact measurements or Rotary and R&P steering cables, surf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX17AWcVnSQ

Hope this helps.

Last edited: