Steering turning more to one side than the other.

jross68052

Cadet
I have a 1996 Sea Ray with a 90 HP Mercury Outboard. The steering was loose two seasons ago. So I opted to replace the helm with a new rotary steering gear. Thee steering is no longer loose and works. The problem I have is that the motor does not turn all the way in both directions. Any ideas on fix? Is the cable stretched perhaps? Any advice would be appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 1996 Sea Ray with a 90 HP Mercury Outboard. The steering was loose two seasons ago. So I opted to replace the helm with a new rotary steering gear. Thee steering is no longer loose and works. The problem I have is that the motor does not turn all the way in both directions. Any ideas on fix? Is the cable stretched perhaps? Any advice would be appreciated.

You probably didn't put the helm and the motor in the same spot when they both went together. Go back to your directions on how to install and go back thru them. Many are like 4.2 turns lock to lock

jross68052

Cadet
You probably didn't put the helm and the motor in the same spot when they both went together. Go back to your directions on how to install and go back thru them. Many are like 4.2 turns lock to lock

No thats not it. The helm went in the same mounting holes. The engine and steering cable were never moved or re mounted.

Fed

Commander
Does the end of the steering rod fully retract & extend with the motor disconnected from it?
If so then you probably have a mismatched drag link.

jross68052

Cadet
Checked it out. The steering rod goes all the way out. It does not fully retract. Sticks about an 1-1/2 out.

Fed

Commander
I guess you need to figure out why it doesn't fully retract.