Pop noise under engine cover,then no steering

Roc87

Recruit
85 welcraft American 192 with mercruiser 140 and alpha 1 i/o.my steering got a "stuck" feeling,applied pressure to wheel and heard a pop noise.the wheel spins freely with no stops to either side.the cylinder barely moves where it connects to the engine,more like a small wiggle.is there a cylinder in there somewhere that could break,or I'm also reading about a bad helm?there aren't any visible leaks anywhere.thanks in advance

alldodge

Staff member
85 welcraft American 192 with mercruiser 140 and alpha 1 i/o.my steering got a "stuck" feeling,applied pressure to wheel and heard a pop noise.the wheel spins freely with no stops to either side.the cylinder barely moves where it connects to the engine,more like a small wiggle.is there a cylinder in there somewhere that could break,or I'm also reading about a bad helm?there aren't any visible leaks anywhere.thanks in advance

:welcome: to iboats

I think you either snapped the steering cable or broke the gear in the helm (steering box).

In the bottom lower pic, remove the large nut (letter c) going to the steering ram (letter d) at the engine. Once removed then rotate the wheel and see if the cable moves
Steering Ram.jpg

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... My guess is ya stripped the gears in the helm, as with a 140, I kinda doubt ya even have P/Steerin',...

There won't be any leakage, as the helm is a grease filled little box fulla gears,....