Steering and boat pulling to right

Timmy Tiger

Recruit
steering is very stiff and when throttle is about 3/4 or more boats pulls hard to right. 2004 Bentley 24ft pontoon with a 90 hp Mercury

buddhapi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have you removed the trim tab lately and turned it at a different angle? simple mistake after a person tears the lower unit off to replace the impeller. do you have hydraulic steering or cables?

Rob1976

Cadet
I am having same problem with my 17 ft bass boat with mercury black ax 150. It will pull super hard to right when I am 1/2 to full throttle, if I accidentally let go people would go flying out, I have to fight it to keep straight. I have single cable steering. Cable is in great shape recently replaced before I bought boat. I can go to back of boat when trimmed up or down and turn motor by hand very easy. In fact when I trim it up it will fall over to right side quick. Can anyone please help with this. Thanks

Fed

Commander
The normal way to correct a hard pull to the right is to move the trailing edge of the trim tab to the right, this causes water pressure to push the outboard to the left.
Another option is to trim up to equalize the thrust from the prop blades left to right.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Sometimes there is a friction screw mounted on the bottom of the helm. If there is indeed a screw, you can tighten this down to stiffen up the steering and help with the "P" factor of outboard motor steering...very common problem. There are also no feedback steering helms available as well. I recently switched my steering to hydraulic...now my boat is fun to drive again.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Are ya's trimmin' up the motor,..??

If so, go higher, or lower,...

Macca1500s

Seaman Apprentice
Is that right, if the boats has a tendency to pull to the right you adjust the trim fin/tab to the right as well???

Are you saying that the trim tab is not steering the boat but the motor, maybe taking up slack
My new to me boat pulls slightly to the right, but the tab is moved to the left of straight ahead

Fed

Commander
Are you saying that the trim tab is not steering the boat but the motor
Yes, it sort of works opposite to what you'd think until you think about it.

Macca1500s

Seaman Apprentice
ok thanks, better nick out into the backyard and make some adjustments, i think ill set it up for straight ahead and see what happens

thanks