Mercruiser Stern Drive Power steering Ram lower pivot bolt removal?

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Hey guys, I was removing my power steering ram today and I got the upper pivot bolt easy after bending the tabs to free the bolt. When I got to the bottom one, it was a different story of course. Can reach or hammer upward on those tabs with the engine in place. Any known tips/tricks for removing this bolt. Also, if/when I get this bolt out, I am thinking of using blue lock tight on the threads and leave the tabs flat. Any one can give me a good reason why I should not do this?

alldodge

Staff member
Hey guys, I was removing my power steering ram today and I got the upper pivot bolt easy after bending the tabs to free the bolt. When I got to the bottom one, it was a different story of course. Can reach or hammer upward on those tabs with the engine in place. Any known tips/tricks for removing this bolt.

I replaced the one on my cruiser, it was a bi**h. Used a couple different screw drivers and socket which I hammered up. So long ago just don't remember exactly

Also, if/when I get this bolt out, I am thinking of using blue lock tight on the threads and leave the tabs flat. Any one can give me a good reason why I should not do this?

The metal tab once bent down will never allow the bolt to back out, using locktite is rolling the dice.

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just put the (1", if I recall) socket on it and loosened it without bending any of the tabs first. You can JUST get enough of the socket over it to do that. The tabs will bend themselves down as the flats of the bolt turn. The bolts aren't tight. At least mine weren't, and they were definitely never touched since '85...

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
That was exactly my plan and I tried to get enough depth on the socket to turn the bolt but I couldn't. It seems like the tabs were bent all the way up. I even have a hard time getting a screw driver between the tabs and the bolt. Will try again today with different tools.