Boat pulls to the left

lazerbob

Recruit
I purchased a used 22' Four Winns Liberator with a 350CI OMC cobra engine and stern Drive. It pulls seriously to the left when under power. When it is on the trailer I can turn the out drive in either direction with 2 fingers. It moves very freely with no resistance. Any ideas on how to straighten this out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LB

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
When boat is in the water, how balanced is its onboard weight? re: When 2 people walk to one side of my boat as I'm cruising (re: come to this side to see the fish), my boat seriously pulls to that side. Is your boat weight balanced on the water as well?

Also... Do you use NFB (non-feedback) steering cable or is your boat hydraulic steering?

alldodge

Staff member
I purchased a used 22' Four Winns Liberator with a 350CI OMC cobra engine and stern Drive. It pulls seriously to the left when under power. When it is on the trailer I can turn the out drive in either direction with 2 fingers. It moves very freely with no resistance. Any ideas on how to straighten this out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LB

:welcome: to iboats

Sounds like you don't have power steering. Not an OMC expert but you should have a anode like the one in the below pic. This anode can be loosened and retightened to reduce the torque steer. Move it a bit in the opposite direction (left) and try it

fetch

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... Does it have power steerin',..??

Is there a torque tab anode above the prop on/ under the cav-plate,..??

What sorta Prop ya got on it,..??

lazerbob

Recruit
Thanks for the replys. No I don't believe that balance is an issue. It pulls with 1 person in the boat or 5. The more power I give it the more it pulls.
No I do not have an anode above the prop. It does have power steering and I'm starting to think that's the issue. Shouldn't there be reistance on the out drive while it's on the trailer?

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks for the replys. No I don't believe that balance is an issue. It pulls with 1 person in the boat or 5. The more power I give it the more it pulls.
No I do not have an anode above the prop. It does have power steering and I'm starting to think that's the issue. Shouldn't there be reistance on the out drive while it's on the trailer?

Since you have PS go back to the steering ram and check to see if the cable nut is tight. There are flats on the round part of the ram, those flats need to be straight up and down.

Steering Ram.jpg