Throttle Adjustment help

fastp22

Recruit
I recently put a wakeboard tower on my 95 Rinker 18ft bow rider. I had to remove the interior sidepanel to access the outer wall for the mount. I also had to remove the throttle mechanism from the sidepanel entirely. When I went to put the throttle handle back I'm not sure I get it lined up correctly. The issue I am having is... I pull the engage button in to put it in gear and it goes quite a way forward before I can hear it (clicking) trying to go into gear, I push it to where it goes into gear and the throttle is already engaged and automatically takes off. There is no leeway. As soon as it engages it takes off, so it makes it very jerky. The reverse is fine. It goes into gear then I can pull it back a little before the throttle actually engages. I guess I am looking for a distinction from the throttle adjustment and the actual engine engage adjustment settings. Any advise would help. This is only my 3rd year boating so I would consider myself a novice.

alldodge

Staff member
I recently put a wakeboard tower on my 95 Rinker 18ft bow rider. I had to remove the interior sidepanel to access the outer wall for the mount. I also had to remove the throttle mechanism from the sidepanel entirely. When I went to put the throttle handle back I'm not sure I get it lined up correctly. The issue I am having is... I pull the engage button in to put it in gear and it goes quite a way forward before I can hear it (clicking) trying to go into gear, I push it to where it goes into gear and the throttle is already engaged and automatically takes off. There is no leeway. As soon as it engages it takes off, so it makes it very jerky. The reverse is fine. It goes into gear then I can pull it back a little before the throttle actually engages. I guess I am looking for a distinction from the throttle adjustment and the actual engine engage adjustment settings. Any advise would help. This is only my 3rd year boating so I would consider myself a novice.

:welcome: to iboats

In most cases the shift linkage is not bothered by moving the throttle controls, but sometimes they do move and need readjusting. I'll guess you have a Alpha drive, and if that is the case, go to the top of this section and select "adults only" section. Then select "Mercruiser" and then find achris video's on how to adjust your shift cable.

Let us know how it goes