228 throttle cable adjustment

nick8519

Cadet
I have an 83 Sea Ray with 228hp Mercruiser. It shifts to forward and reverse nice and smooth. It idles at normal RPM. When I put throttle control all the way, it's only moving throttle arm on carb about half way to WOT. I tried to adjust where the threaded rod of throttle cable attaches but if I adjust anymore, it moves controls at carb and idles fast. I recently purchased boat and cables are newer. Any help on adjustment of this? I guess it's possible that the new cable wasn't the right length but it shifts great and smooth. All the cables and shift/throttle control assembly are newer.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... My 1st guess, not knowin' which controller ya got is,....

Many controllers have different holes in different places to attach the cables, which can alter the length of throw, as well as direction of throw,....

Maybe it's just hooked up in the wrong hole,.....

nick8519

Cadet
Thanks for the welcome! This is my first boat and new to the scene! I'm pretty mechanically inclined once I have an idea of what I'm working with! LOL
I've attached photos of the controller and throttle cable at the carb. It was connected to the forward most upper hole. It's disconnected in the pic because I was tinkering around with it. I tried connecting the hole further back, while that helps, it's nowhere close to giving me WOT.

Attachments

• throttle.jpeg
    throttle.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
  • throttle1.jpeg
    throttle1.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 0
  • throttle2.jpeg
    throttle2.jpeg
    13 KB · Views: 0

nick8519

Cadet
Can anyone please identify the manufacturer of that controller? I don't know the logo and can't find a name on it.

****EDIT *******Nevermind...just found out it's Mercury...I'm learning as I go...thanks for the patience and help!

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
I've attached photos of the controller and throttle cable at the carb. It was connected to the forward most upper hole. It's disconnected in the pic because I was tinkering around with it. I tried connecting the hole further back, while that helps, it's nowhere close to giving me WOT.

Ayuh,.... In the Controller, not at the carb,....

nick8519

Cadet
Just wanted to give an update: removed side panel of boat to expose back of controller. Removed back plastic cover from controller and found that throttle cable had come out of the slot that holds it in place. Realized it came out of place because whoever installed the controller rear cover failed to put in the 2 screws on that side of it which hold the back cover plate on and keep the cables in their slots. Seems to be working now (not running) as I can now see the movement at the carb to WOT.

After reinstalling side panel of boat, I did notice that when in forward, as I push the handle down to increase throttle, I feel more resistance in the movement. It's not hard or doesn't feel like binding, just "tighter." I assume that's because before, the cable was free floating and taking the tension off. Although that tightness isn't there when throttling while in neutral. Will experiment on the next trip and evaluate from there.