Auto steer for fishing boat.

Nathan R

Seaman
I have a Lund Tyee Magnum Gran Sport 1950 that I do a lot of salmon fishing in. Mostly on Lake Michigan, but a little on superior as well. Trolling around the lake is nice and relaxing, but someone has to steer those 12+ hours each day. (first world problem if there ever was one lol) It's also hard to fish with just two guys in the boat because the steering guy has to leave the helm to help clear lines and net fish which almost always results in us veering off course and often leads to a mess of tangled lines.

We used to take my brothers boat that didn't have hydraulic steering and it was nigh impossible to leave the helm. My boat has hydraulic steering from teleflex (seastar) and is much better,but I am wondering what it would take to get it to auto steer.

What I have :
1: I already have hydraulic steering.
2: I have a raymarine a68 multifunction display that can act as a control unit for some raymarine course computers.
3: Lowrance globalmap 3500c dedicated GPS with nmea output.

My question is, should I try to find a raymarine system to work with the a68 or just watch for a good used system to pop up on ebay? Also, I have seen a few systems that just connect directly to the steering wheel and actually turn it to keep the course. Are these good? Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I can't answer yer question directly, But,....

I fish Lake Ontario, some for salmon or trout, but mostly walleyes,....

Years ago, I faced the dilemma yer facin', in that I'd go by myself,... so, I bought a Raymarine Sport Pilot +,....
It's a Great auto-pilot for my app. as I have cable steerin',...
Even when I bought all the extra bells, 'n whistles, like the rudder transducer, 'n the electronic compass, 'n all,....
Tied it all into my Lowrance Gps/ fishfinder, the whole kit, 'n kabootle,...

It worked like a Dream,...... at 5 mph or faster,....

I troll at 1 mph or slightly more, most times,......
The system just couldn't keep up with the wind, 'n waves pushin' my tinbarge all over the place,....
Trollin' Into the wind, steerin' is a pretty intense, pay attention kinda thing,....
Downwind, you can take a nap, 'n stay on-course,..

The Sport Pilot + works great at speeds above trollin', or downwind,....
A Great piece, still in the barge, that I haven't even turned on in years, 'n years,.... close to 10 years or so,.....
Well,.. Since I hooked up with my ole lady, Deb,... the love of my life, 'n a 'ell of a fisherperson,.... ;)

The draw-back to the Sport Pilot + is the added drag against the steerin' wheel,.....
Even disengaged, yer turnin' through the clutch in the helm unit,...

A Bud put a Raymarine hyd. system into a 44' steel barge We built years ago,....
It worked Great at transport speeds steerin' the dual outboards,...
It also caused excessive steerin' force bein' needed to turn the wheel,....
I blamed it on bein' a Bondo designed, 'n built system, with an ole raceboat hyd. helm, a retro fit reservoir, 'n a cylinder I found somewhere,...
But, take the auto-pilot hyd. unit outa the line, 'n it was a 1 finger steer,...

Durin' a refit, I ended up with that system, for a future project,...
Not sure which system he's got on it now, but he drives the darn thing with his Phone,......

Nathan R

Seaman
Thank you bondo for the great reply. Keeping course at trolling speeds of 2.5 mph or less was one of my concerns that I forgot to address. I hadn't even thought about the added steering effort.