Volvo Penta Power Steering Pump

MidcoastBoater

Recruit
Hello,
I have a 2007 Chaparral 215SSi with a 2007 Volvo Penta 5.0L GL-H engine. I have owned the boat for the last year and have been having issues with a "belt" like squealing, belts popping off, and poor power steering. My guess is a bad power steering pump but wanted to get a second opinion before I spend the $350+ for a new pump.
-Belt Squealing - this has progressively gotten worse over the last 50h. At first it would only happen at a specific RMP and the pitch didn't change with the engine speed. now it happens all the time. The sound is localized at the power steering pulley. I heard this was a "common" issues with VP pumps. is this true? I just started the engine today after a winters rest and i heard this squealing plus the belt slipping so i don't think it's the belt.

-The factory Volvo belt will pop off under load. I put on a NAPA belt slightly smaller which stayed on better, but at the end of last season it came off more often.

-when i first got the boat turning left was good but right was a little stiff. I have had times when steering is tough and then it kicked in. when I just started the engine the steering was constantly stiff.

-upon inspection I found the pump pulley is out of alignment from the Alternator. There is also lots of belt dust collecting just below the alternator. This seems odd and not right, but I don't understand how this could happen?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Attachments

• belt dust.JPG
    belt dust.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Power Steering bottom.JPG
    Power Steering bottom.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Power steering top down.JPG
    Power steering top down.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 2