Steering doesn't move

JerryB1987

Seaman
When I had a boat given to me I tried turning the steering wheel and it wouldn't move. The motor appears to be straight ahead and the center of the steering wheel is up and down instead of across as you would expect the helm to be when going straight.

When I took off the nut to remove the cable at the motor I found out the helm was turned all the way left. With the nut off the helm can be turned and the cable slides in and out of the tilt tube. The chrome piece sticking out the other end of the tilt tube does not move at all.

In getting ready to lift the motor off the transom I drove the outer rod through the tilt tube so the entire cable is now out of the tilt tube. I can hold the chrome section in my hand and my wife can easily turn the helm in either direction. As the picture shows the grease is completely dried out. When I get ready to reinstall the motor and steering should I be able to clean up the old grease and regrease everything and expect the steering to work or do you think I should get a new cable.

This is my first boat so I know very little about how things should work. Should the chrome tube that was sticking out the end of the tilt tube slide in and out when steering or should it stay stationary so the cable can push and pull it. I would expect that if the PO had been working on it he put it together with the helm fully left and that kept the helm from working but since I don't really understand how it is supposed to work I don't know where to start to fix it. IMG_20150426_125854892.jpg