Which trim and steering fluid to use? Does it hurt to mix?

BigDog43

Recruit
[h=1]This is my first year having this boat, I'm noticing the trim fluid is a little below the "MIN" line on the container. My manual says to use Mercury Precision Power Trim Steering Fluid 92-802880a1.

I picked up som "Yamalube" while I was at my local boat dealer getting some other items. It says it works for for all power trim and steering.

Will it hurt to mix potentially two differnt types? I don't know what's in there in the first place so I could be mixing two different types even if I used the recommended brand.

Even if I pumped out the existing fluid from the resevoir, it wouldn't get it all and I could still be mixing. Thoughts?[/h]

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I honestly can't tell you one way or the other. However, if the new steering fluid specifies that it is compatible with all manufacturer system, I would guess it would not matter at all. Kind of like most any fluids for vehicles, brake, power steering, transmission and such. If they pass minimum certification, I don't see any issue. They all are some type oil derivative and so mixing wouldn't seem a problem. JMHO!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... I wouldn't hesitate ti use it,....