Steering system for small outboards, shifter idea?

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
My first question is in relation to the cable length. How critical is it really to get absolutely the "perfect" length (within a foot or 6")? I read the sticky above and it mentions the chance of "tight" steering with a cable too long, but if care is taken in the installation of a long cable can it work? The reason I ask this is the boat I am wanting to do this with I won't be able to get to for a few months and when I am there I need to have the stuff to work with to do it = I won't be able to measure much, other then scaling dimensions on a picture and making an "educated guess" - I'd rather err on the side of caution and go a bit long.

Second question is the motor on this particular boat is a 25hp. I know it wouldn't take much in the way of steering power, but I'd like to get something that has easier steering than a Teleflex Safe T system, maybe a 4.2? Any thoughts here?

Third question, and this somewhat goes along with the above, what style? I see the Rack systems also. I am not sure I will have that much room in my helm (about 24" width inside console) but are there any advantages to a Rack?

I am wanting to adapt this (read = rig up) to a tiller motor without taking the tiller handle off. I have an idea for attaching a rod to the tiller handle possibly, and use some fabricated bracketry to attach the steering cable to the stern. Has anyone tried this? Or do you have any ideas for it? Or maybe know of anywhere I may find pictures of similar set ups? I am wanting this to be as "temporary" of an install as I can make it, while still being sturdy.

Also, does anyone have any ideas for a basic inexpensive single lever shifter/throttle that I may be able to make work?

The motor this is all being used with is a Johnson J25TEETS. I have not been able to find much in the way of "remote kits". Plus I just want to adapt something to work with how the motor is configured now without modifying it much, if that makes sense. However, if anyone has a lead on a remote kit that would work I would be interested.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
First of all I like when folks have ideas to reconfigure things to make their boating experience better. I see others manufacture brackets and braces to turn tiller setups to steering setups. My neighbor actually did something similar to this with a 15 HP Johnson OB. And while it did work, it was not a perfect setup. So make sure you take into account everything dealing with such a conversion. I would look for a different point to attach your steering cable. The tiller arm shouldn't be that attachment place. Try to fine a more central area on the front of the engine to make that steering attachment. That way both left and right steering will be equal capabilities and throw. As far as shifting, so many OBs have both manual and cable shifting setups. So look at a few types and see what they used for that. It equally isn't very hard to mimic. And of course throttle is easy after seeing that type set up as well. So my suggest is to look at a few OBs with such capabilities and try to do things similarly. Boat selling places and/or marinas are a really good place to look and see...

Star

Chief Petty Officer
This is what I did for a 14' aluminum with a 4 stroke mercury DSCN3934.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN3932.JPG
    DSCN3932.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN3932.JPG
    DSCN3932.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 1

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is some pretty handy work there Star. I am going for a different approach - aluminum.

I found some blown out parts schematics for the tiller handle and shifter on the motor. That helps give me a hit of an idea what I am working with there. I wish I had the motor in front of me so I could measure and see really what I have to work with.

I am thinking a Teleflex 4.2 is what I am going to get. They make several different style connecting kits, though. I think my two options are transom mounted (with custom bracketry) or tilt tube. Though, I am not sure the motor I have has a usable tilt tube?

The shifter looks easy to work with. As for the throttle I am not sure about that. I may just make my own dual lever shifter/throttle. We'll see.

Star

Chief Petty Officer
There are many used units on craigslist. To build one takes a bit of work. The older controls are probably easier to convert. The tube should accept the Teleflex rod. but realize that you will not have full left to right swing of the motor due to the length of the rod throw on the Teleflex, More pictures DSCN3940.JPG

thomas1994

Recruit
I'm having pretty much same issue. I'm looking to convert my 88merc 9.9 tiller with pull start to stick steer and remote throttle shift. Steering isn't the prob but I need help with the remote. My tiller adjusts throttle and gear.

Star

Chief Petty Officer
Thomas, the 1/8" SS rod you see goes to a bell crank that controls the throttle on an 05 Merc 4 stroke, but yours is different probably.