teleflex dual steering cable

william haynes

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 18 ft. bass boat. with a 150 hp mariner. The engine went out and I bought another engine which is a 115 hp. This engine has the long shaft and I bought a jack plate for it so I could get the proper height. I am going to have to buy new steering cable for it. My question is do I need dual steering cables? I have had other boats and they only had one steering cable and I had no problem with it. Dual steering cables cost almost $400.00 and if I can use a single cable it will only cost about $150.00. Any info on this will be greatly appreciated

alldodge

Staff member
I have a 18 ft. bass boat. with a 150 hp mariner. The engine went out and I bought another engine which is a 115 hp. This engine has the long shaft and I bought a jack plate for it so I could get the proper height. I am going to have to buy new steering cable for it. My question is do I need dual steering cables? I have had other boats and they only had one steering cable and I had no problem with it. Dual steering cables cost almost $400.00 and if I can use a single cable it will only cost about $150.00. Any info on this will be greatly appreciated

You need dual cables due to torque steer. The more HP the more torque steer you will encounter. There is also a safety concern with speed and the fast you go the more critical play and amount the motor moves with slight changes. Hydraulic is another choice from dual cable. I would suggest contacting sea star and ask them for recommendations.