Beeping controls

chopper6322

Seaman
Hey guys, just got my first boat. A bayhawk172 with a 77 evinrude 70hp. So the control box is beeping when the key is just on, not even started. From my research this is an oil injection problem. But this motor has no oil res, just mix the gas in the tank...am I wrong about that or do I just need do disconnect the beeper? If so...how? Thanks in advance

alldodge

Staff member
Hey guys, just got my first boat. A bayhawk172 with a 77 evinrude 70hp. So the control box is beeping when the key is just on, not even started. From my research this is an oil injection problem. But this motor has no oil res, just mix the gas in the tank...am I wrong about that or do I just need do disconnect the beeper? If so...how? Thanks in advance

AS a non-outboard expert, your getting a beeping when the engine is not running, it leads me to maybe nothing is running so it beeps. If beeps go away when it's started then your good to go,

Same thing happens when an inboard or I/O has not yet been started and the engine is not running

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Probably the temperature sensor is bad. There should be a brown wire on the head or block leading to the sensor, disconnect it and see if the beeping stops.

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer
What kind of controls does it have? Are they for your year engine or are they newer controls with a older engine? Is the sound a "horn" noise, or an electronic "beep"? You vintage engine only came with an overheat horn and is not supposed to make any noise in the key on position. Post a pic of your controls.

chopper6322

Seaman
Having a hard time shrinking the picture to an acceptable size but it is a pretty non description control box...has a lever on top that when raised raises the idle Rpms. Trim buttons on the actual control arm, a key switch and what I think is some kind of adjustment for the stiffness of the control arm. Also there are 2 sets of wires going back to the motor, one of which is cut at the motor, it has a white, green, and black wire. The one that is connected has a larger blue and green wire... Hope that's helpful

chopper6322

Seaman
Also its an electronic beeping, and I doubt very much the controls go to this motor but they certainly aren't new either.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
There are basically 2 types of single lever control boxes that can and are being used on these engines. The easiest way to tell them apart is with the warm up lever. 1st generation the lever is located on the side and the 2nd generation the lever is on the top. Both have a cable that usually terminates at a large red round plug that connects to the motor. That is called a cannon plug. Some of the very early models used a black cannon plug. As far as I can tell and have seen the early models also did not have a tilt trim switch in them. That switch was usually dash mounted. As long as there is a red cannon plug either will work with your engine,

I have a manual for both model control boxes along with a wire schematic. Are these wires a solid color or is there a stripe?

chopper6322

Seaman
It looks more like the second one...the warm up lever is on the top and the wires do not have stripes on them, just solid colors

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
OK good, i'll try and help you out with those wires but I'm not at home so I don't have the manual available at hand. There should be one large cable exiting the bottom along with the shift and throttle cable. That cable should go to the cannon plug. Then there should be a 3 wire cable coming out of the bottom of the shifter/throttle handle. Those will be the trim/tilt wires if there is a trim button.

chopper6322

Seaman
Bonz, thank you for your help, I will be out of town all weekend but will get that information as soon as i have a chance to take a look.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Sorry that I'm late to reply, wife just had surgery so I have been busy with her and didn't see you post.

I will suggest that 1st you may have a faulty horn. Next could be that something is shorted or mis-wired inside the control box. Have you had it open yet?
On the 1987 model of the control most all wires have a stripe. Just where are these wires, white. green, black, originating from? Any way to get a picture?

The red cannon plug will work between all years and supply function to the basics such as ignition switch, choke, kill circuit and horn. The newer models also supply the warning horn for the oil circuit and some gages. They do this by adding or vacating pins inside the plug.

chopper6322

Seaman
I have not yet had it open, Maybe sometime this, I have also been replacing all the steering system which as proved to be quite the task, having to cut out the old helm due to corrosion, so my time on the controls has been split and I will work on getting some pics today thanks again.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Alright, I'll be watchin for it. I'm thinking that those wires were going to a power tilt-n-trim.

chopper6322

Seaman
No Title

Think i figured out the pictures...i'll post some more when i get the control apart

Attachments

• photo215605.jpg
    photo215605.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo215606.jpg
    photo215606.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0

chopper6322

Seaman
disconnecting the brown wire did not cause the beeping to go away, thanks for the reminder though, i had forgotten about that

Last edited:

chopper6322

Seaman
No Title

alright, i was a little nervous opening that up, not sure why :) but it looks like there is a brown wire, and 2 purple wires going to the horn along with a ground, is brown for temp and purple for oil by chance?

Attachments

• photo215610.jpg
    photo215610.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 0