buying boat and motor seperately

chopper6322

Seaman
Hello all, first time posting so I hope i'm in the right forum. I am looking to buy a 1985 17ft bayhawk boat that has "steering" already installed but no motor, also buying a 1995 evinrude 70hp. This is my first real boat and I feel completley unequipped to make a sound decision, but have to learn sometime. My question is are most steering systems compatable with most motors? will i have to replace all the steering and throttle cables? i'm paying $1500 for both so its not the end of the world if i have to buy some new stuff. I just wanted to know what i'm in for as far as compatability. Thanks in advance for any help.

alldodge

Staff member
Hello all, first time posting so I hope i'm in the right forum. I am looking to buy a 1985 17ft bayhawk boat that has "steering" already installed but no motor, also buying a 1995 evinrude 70hp. This is my first real boat and I feel completley unequipped to make a sound decision, but have to learn sometime. My question is are most steering systems compatable with most motors? will i have to replace all the steering and throttle cables? i'm paying $1500 for both so its not the end of the world if i have to buy some new stuff. I just wanted to know what i'm in for as far as compatability. Thanks in advance for any help.

:welcome: to iboats

Unable to find a 1985, stuff only goes back to 1987. Looks like most fiberglass 17 footers show being able to handle up to 90HP. Don't know if this is correct for your boat but appears to be along the same line. Most steering and controls will interchange but would need to know what is on the boat to verify

82rude

Rear Admiral
steering will be ok .throttle controls are manufacture specific.in other words mercury controls will not work with omc and visa versa.another example would be my own .I have a 2011 60 etec and bought a 1976 starcraft ss 160 bowrider.the steering was no issue atall but the older omc controls would not work with my etec .luckly I had the controls anyways off of my previous boat .hopefully your motor that your looking at has controls with it .

chopper6322

Seaman
Thanks for the responses...I guess 1 outta 2 isn't bad...I have no idea if the motor comes with controls, if not does iboats sell them ? Or well else can I look?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
A decent engine reseller will supply the controls and control cables with the engine. If they don't there are plenty of generic controls, and 'universal' cables. A universal cable has detachable end and comes with an assortment so you can fit the ends you need.

And yes, we (iboats) have them -> http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Controls/dm/cart_id.845043910--session_id.058808539--view_id.217128

Steering systems are pretty much universal... Usually a single steering cable that runs through the engine tilt tube. There are different systems, like the old wire and pulley system, or a single cable on a joint that connects directly to the tiller arm of the outboard (the point on the engine where the link arm on a through-tilt tube system connects to the engine).... All systems will work with your engine choice.

Chris.....