Remote steer

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have small 6 or 7 horse Yamaha tiller 2 stroke. I'm wondering what would be the cheapest route for remote steer. Other then the link between I/o and kicker. Be nice to have throttle but since its in the handle. I assume it would be more costly then its worth. Hope to upgrade to a four stroke in a few years maybe. But not possible now.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
My neighbor actually turned his 15 HP Johnson OB into remote everything. However, he did make some questionable gadgets to achieve his remote capability and not sure I would have done it his way and watch the docks fade away out of sight in such a makeshift setup. If you can manufacture some clever items, you can make it remote both in starting, shifting and throttle controls. It can be done and may even have factory change over options available.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander
No Title

Made this from a couple of used steering arms and go kart tie rod ends. Coat was about $25. Works great for me. OOPS!, just reread and saw I/O sorry

Attachments

• photo130263.jpg
    photo130263.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I have small 6 or 7 horse Yamaha tiller 2 stroke. I'm wondering what would be the cheapest route for remote steer. Other then the link between I/o and kicker. Be nice to have throttle but since its in the handle. I assume it would be more costly then its worth. Hope to upgrade to a four stroke in a few years maybe. But not possible now.

It's going to be costly unless you can figure out how to build something. Can get a stick steer system but they are 300 each new.
http://stores.ebay.com/BoatStoreUSA/Stick-Steering-/_i.html?_fsub=6
sticksteeringpic.jpg

Can get the electronic kits for around 400 but they are all built for 4 cycle
http://www.marinetechproducts.com/pages/TrollMasterHome

viper1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well the tie rod bar ide looks like a place to start out. But the stick would work too. Wondering though what would be needed to change the motor to cables? I looked and this is a Yamaha 8hp. Very nice little engine. And i think it would be plenty for the 24 foot islander. Wish it was a 4 stroke but its a two stroke. So i'll need to figure where to put the extra tank. LOL!